Thanksgiving day: I stuff my face, spammers stuff my inbox

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
OK, I generally get a ferw spam emails per day. No biggie. Junk is still in training mode because it marks a lot of mail I want as junk since a lot of spam is now coming in from faked yahoo addresses. Anyway, I have gotten about 20 today. This is to a .Mac account too and it looks like a lot of my fellow .Mac'ers are getting plastered too. Sad.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    I got 71 junk email yesterday! And it happened one day after I used webmail for the first time. Today, I only got 17! Oh yeah, Happy Thanksgiving you nutty Americans. I'm eating Chinese food to mark the occasion.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    Blame Congress and the Senate, they are now in the pocess of a spam "law' that requires the spamee to opt out, rather than the spammer to have previous permission, which also overrides all existing laws on the books. What a bunch of jerks.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by Rick1138

Blame Congress and the Senate, they are now in the pocess of a spam "law' that requires the spamee to opt out, rather than the spammer to have previous permission, which also overrides all existing laws on the books. What a bunch of jerks.

Are you sure? I always thought "opting out" would just get you on more lists since that would verify your email address?
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by Horned_Frog

Are you sure? I always thought "opting out" would just get you on more lists since that would verify your email address?

It would.

Spam sucks, no doubt about it. I get on average 5 a day for my home account, Mail catches them all, with the rare exception. I also have a yahoo account that I give out to web sites and whatnot, I don't care if that gets sold. I get close to 75 a day on that one, but I don't care, I'm not paying for it. I guard my home address like it's my job though. I don't give it out unless I have to, or in the case of my AI profile, it's unlikely that I will get spammed because of it.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    i wish mail caught all mine, it did for a while and now it doesn't. i think it's becasue they do weird sh!t like "v!agra"
  • Reply 6 of 8
    cosmocosmo Posts: 662member
    With Eudora's spam filter set to filter anything with a junk score of about 40 or higher i get less than 1 piece of spam in my inbox per day. Occasionally one slips through.

Things in the junk box are deleted after 5 days, and currently there are 85 msgs in the junk box. That is more than usual (i noticed an increase in spam over the past week as well).

It is still ridiculous.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    I don't get any spam...none.

I am slightly more careful when thinking about if a place is respectable and if I think they would give out my email. I normally give it out without worrying though because I know that mail's junk mail filter is very good.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    I've never had spam to my .Mac account.