Will Apple ever use the 7457?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
The inability of Motorola to ramp up production of the 7457 stuns me. What's the hold up? Does anyone think Apple will ever use this chip? I'd still like to see a 1.5 ghz 7457 in a powerbook (though I'd like a .09, 1.6 Ghz G5 much better).

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Will a 7447 do?
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Doesn't seem so. Look here.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    The 7457 (actually the 7447) is already in the PowerBooks.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    ompusompus Posts: 163member
    Forgive my ignorance. When did Apple start putting 7447s in their powerbooks?

Regarding the thread on Apple transitioning to the IBM 750vx...the Appleinsider report says the chip "is in the advanced stages of development." From this I gather that we're stuck with Motorola's G4, on the low end, for at least another 9-12 months.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    ompusompus Posts: 163member
    Nev-errr Mind. Following BRussell's comments, I went back and discovered enough information to convince me that the the powerbooks are using the 7447 (which is essentially just a 7457 that doesn't support L3). I swear my first google search yielded nothing.

Soooooooooo, just ignore this thread.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    ryaxnbryaxnb Posts: 583member
    Probably.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by ryaxnb

Probably.

I'm gonna have to disagree. All signs point to Apple dumping Moto, and I say, It's about time. They plan to put an IBM chipset in the iBooks, and I don't know how much longer the G4 towers will stick around with the .09nm G5 on the horizon. Looks like Moto is out.