Bring back the "What's on your..." ads?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
With Apple apparently firing on most, if not all, cylinders these days (G5, iPod and iTMS are getting lots of attention, press and second-looks from so many), I think a new print campaign based on those old PowerBook ads would really work and turn even more heads.

It could be famous people. Or it could be just regular folks. A mixture of the two, even.

Well-photographed (with maybe some sort of cool, appealing visual hook of some sort?) and just the phrase at the top.

It could, in the space of one full-page ad, accomplish several things:

1. When celebrities are used, it gives the impression - right or wrong - that Apple and Macs have something "special" about them. Like it or not (and I really don't), this is a silly, celebrity-obsessed culture...but if seeing Harrison Ford or Bono or whoever-the-hell holding a PowerBook in a full-page Newsweek or Rolling Stone ad is what it takes for some people to investigate Apple further, then I can live with that.

We all are aware of the actors, artists, musicians and writers who use Macs...why not exploit that a bit, if it appeals to people and gets them looking our way? Apple themselves routinely use them in those product intro videos they show at Macworld keynotes, so it's not like the notion of "using celebrity spokesmen" is somehow beneath them or "uncool". They do it all the time...we're just the only ones that see it.

2. SHOW THE HARDWARE, but not on a sterile, "hard to guage the size of it" white background, but rather in the hands (or on the desk) of real people. The smallness of the 12" PowerBook can really be emphasized. The largeness of the 17" PowerBook can too. The 20" iMac can look as big and gorgeous as it is, with a person sitting beside it, looking happy

3. In the listing of the things on the particular Mac, that would serve as a true-life, subtle reminder that "yes, Macs do run Microsoft Office" or whatever particular myth/misconception needs to be addressed (if a list includes something like "my PowerPoint presentations", that might perk someone up who had no idea)

4. Show a wide range of people...not just arty, designer-looking types. Another misconception Apple needs to tackle a bit is the one held by many that Macs are "only for artists and designers". Sure, show a couple of them. But also show some teachers, writers, students, soccer moms, senior citizens and others who don't fit that hipster, black-rimmed-glasses demographic.

Sadly, "the computer for the rest of us" often seems anything but, to many. Apple could help in that area.

One good photograph, showing the person AND the Mac (holding a laptop, or standing/sitting at a desk or table with a G5, iMac or eMac) and a listing of some of the things on that particular Mac (with effort made to showcase some of the things that would make a Mac appeal to someone who's currently not using one, OR knows little or nothing about them).

The Fred guy from Apple has already said the Switch ads didn't really work, not in any true, significant way. So, to me, it seems you'd "do the opposite" and do everything the Switch ads didn't do: show some well-known people, show the hardware, bust a few myths, etc.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    As far as celebrities go (and I truly think using them wouldn't hurt a thing...it could only help), some thought about placement is key: for ads running in Entertainment Weekly or Rolling Stone, you might use people that make sense...people you probably wouldn't use in Newsweek or Cosmo.

Pair the person with the publication.

Putting P Diddy or one of the idiots from Limp Korn in an ad going in Business Week probably ain't that hot of an idea.

And putting Maureen O'Dowd, Limbaugh or someone like that in Movieline or Sassy is probably equally as lame.

Do it right, do it smart. Otherwise you've got another "Switch" campaign on your hands. All that wasted money for such little return...

• Reply 2 of 6
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    That reminds me...

Those CapitalOne "What's in your wallet?!" ads are almost as bad as the ads with annoying fat lady who does weird things when she sees all the different BankOne cards.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    I don't know that one.

In any case, this wouldn't be annoying. Just a photo of someone and their Mac, and some text.

Can't really mess that up...
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

That reminds me...

Those CapitalOne "What's in your wallet?!" ads are almost as bad as the ads with annoying fat lady who does weird things when she sees all the different BankOne cards.

I want to kill myself every time I see that add. It is because of that add that I will never ever ever ever get a bank one card. Worst add ever.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

Can't really mess that up...

Of course not. \
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by DMBand0026

I want to kill myself every time I see that add. It is because of that add that I will never ever ever ever get a bank one card. Worst add ever.

add = an arithmetic operation.

ad = a commonly used abbreviation for advertisement.

"I'll add that Bank One ad to my 'don't watch' list." Geddit?