Archive and Install

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Never done this before- are there any app prefs or docs or anything else anywhere besides the Home folder? I don't want to lose anything, I'm going to do an Archive and Install of 10.3.2 sometime soon. I moved all the Applications I want from my Applications and Applications (MacOS 9) folder in root in to my Home folder.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    NO

do not move your Applications, especially the Apple ones

make sure you select

Preserve Users And Settings

when you archive and install, and you won't have to move a durn thing.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Before do anything, read an older discussion on the subject.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Thanks PB. This is mostly as I thought, 3rd party stuff in System and Library are canned. However it appears the Applications folder is preserved? I saw a topic from applenut about how he lost something and that got me paranoid. But that was because he didn't Preserve User Settings. And it archives the entire System 10.2? And we can unpack it and revert back to Jaguar if we don't like Panther? That's quite cool but a huge waste of space and 10.2.8 has more problems then Panther could possibly have, I just want to have a clean install yet I don't have enough raw space to back ally my apps and Home folder up because my external hard drive recently ran in to some problems.

It's hard to know much about this when I don't have Panther in front of me and I have not used Archive and Install before so thanks everyone for the help.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

However it appears the Applications folder is preserved?

No, Apple is clear on that:

Quote:

From Apple support

Third-party software items that are installed within /System or /Library, or anywhere else besides a user's Home directory, are not preserved. Reinstall the third-party items after the Archive and Install is performed, if necessary.

Don't take the risk.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Will do, thanks again!
  • Reply 6 of 6
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Does anyone know if you can do an Archive and Install to a different hard drive?

My scenario is this:

To this point, I've kept my System and Apps on the original 10GB drive that came with my G4 400 Sawtooth. I keep my Documents on a separate 100GB drive mounted as a slave.

The 10GB drive is now useless with me going to Panther. I have one 1GB of space left and I'm guessing the drive would fill up really quickly once I add Panther and the new Adobe suite.

I want to "Archive and Install" everything from the master onto the 100GB drive and then physically remove the 10GB and mount the 100GB as my new master drive.

Is this possible? Is it the best way of going about this transfer of System and Apps to the new drive? The reason I hesitate to do a clean install is that I would have to reinstall all the Apps, Device and Printer drivers etc. That could set me back a week or so.