The Segway Goes to War

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I'm not making this up.

Quote:

The program is still in the research phase, so the self-balancing scooters aren't expected to report to boot camp anytime soon.

So far, university researchers armed with Pentagon funding have programmed Segway robots that can open doors, avoid obstacles, and chase soccer balls -- all without human control.

Researchers say potential applications for the robots include performing search missions on the battlefield, transporting injured soldiers to safety, or following humans around while hauling their gear.

OK, OK, if I step back and look at this objectively I can see a legitimate interest here. It's not unlike the robot planes, and I'm all for technology that assures that a robot takes a bullet in place of a G.I.

But, I admit, I had to stop laughing before I could reach that conclusion. The image of a platoon of soldiers on Segways - or, better, of Segways operating independently - is absolutely hilarious. It's a long way from the grim machines of war in Terminator, isn't it? It seems almost whimsical.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    We could give them cute little helments! I love it!
  • Reply 2 of 18
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    isn't there a more efficient design than a segway for independant control?
  • Reply 3 of 18
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

It seems almost whimsical.

That's the most dangerous part about it. Every technological development that distances soldiers from the killing sphere has increased the fatal capacity of war. While it would appear that this saves our soldiers' lives, that's only true for as long as we have the technology and they do not. Dehumanizing killing makes war more clinical, more efficient, and ultimately, more deadly.

But yes, it is funny
  • Reply 4 of 18
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    "I'm sorry George, I'm afraid I can't do that."
  • Reply 5 of 18
    spartspart Posts: 2,060member
    Ever see a scooter in a sandbox?

Yeah, I'm thinking that a Segway wouldn't do so well over in Iraq.
  • Reply 6 of 18
    how about a minefield clearing version?

solve multiple problems at once
  • Reply 7 of 18
    akumulatorakumulator Posts: 1,111member
    I hope this technology doesn't fall into the wrong hands.

• Reply 8 of 18
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    Hey, there's a way to improve troop morale, give everyone a Segway. I wouldn't put it past this record money spending Congress to approve such an expense either.

I wonder how they work in the sand.....
  • Reply 9 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by Akumulator

He He
  • Reply 10 of 18
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Did I hear that all the Segways were recalled for falling over when the battery runs out? That's what my roommate said, and I'm to lazy to research it.
  • Reply 11 of 18
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Quote:

Originally posted by applenut

isn't there a more efficient design than a segway for independant control?

I imagine you could chop off the handlebars and add some sort of dummy weight to make this thing go? Beats me.

It does conjure the image of a 21st century Keystone Cops routine, or maybe like one of the professor's gadgets on Gilligan's Island.
  • Reply 12 of 18
    chu_bakkachu_bakka Posts: 1,793member
    Troops carry around alot of stuff. A robotic mule is a cool idea. Also have seen small robots they can throw through windows and see who's inside with a camera...

can also drag the wounded out of harms way.
  • Reply 13 of 18
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

I imagine you could chop off the handlebars and add some sort of dummy weight to make this thing go? Beats me.

It does conjure the image of a 21st century Keystone Cops routine, or maybe like one of the professor's gadgets on Gilligan's Island.

Use it as a blunt melee weapon.
  • Reply 14 of 18
    I'm with the chap that noted the dehumanization of war. Don't think for a minute that "terminators" are not on the mind of people in the Pentagon and elsewhere. Just as the gun and misile made mass murder and "world war" possible, automated soldiers will make killing psychologically much easier.
  • Reply 15 of 18
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

Use it as a blunt melee weapon.

http://www.itswalky.com/d/20020203.html
  • Reply 16 of 18
    mac+mac+ Posts: 580member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Matsu

That's the most dangerous part about it. Every technological development that distances soldiers from the killing sphere has increased the fatal capacity of war. While it would appear that this saves our soldiers' lives, that's only true for as long as we have the technology and they do not. Dehumanizing killing makes war more clinical, more efficient, and ultimately, more deadly. [snip]

Matsu - great post!
  • Reply 17 of 18
    chu_bakkachu_bakka Posts: 1,793member
    hehehe... couldn't resist.

hopefully the soldiers will be wise enough to actually turn it on before trying to use it...

http://www.bikexprt.com/witness/product/bushfalls.htm
  • Reply 18 of 18
    toweltowel Posts: 1,479member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Akumulator

You know what pops into my mind looking at that pic? Those rifle-toting sewgays would be awfully hard to take out. Tiny tiny silouette, very low center of gravity, you can make the beam out of titanium, and you can surround the low-slung guts with titanium armor. Stick a rifle and a little camera on that bugger, and it'd make one heck of a hard-to-kill grunt.

[da da dum du dum. da da dum du dum.]