Xcode books worth waiting for?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I'm dabbling in Cocoa development, mostly geared towards microarray data-analysis for in-house use. Fairly simple stuff, trying to automate and pretty-fy tasks that I do mostly by hand or with mySQL queries, so that a non-computer savy lab worker could do the same tasks with a few mouse clicks. My dabbling has all been done in the 10.2 devtools so far, and I found several Cocoa books (from our wonderful Seattle public library) to be very helpful in getting me started.

But since my renewals are running out, I'm thinking of [gasp] actually buying a book or two. Probably Hillegass's Cocoa Programming for MacOSX and Davidson's Learning Cocoa with Objective C. But I'm going to upgrade to Panther sooner or later, and start using Xcode. Probably within 6 months or so. My question is, is it worth waiting for the updated Xcode editions of these books before investing in them? Is Xcode a signficantly different development environment from ProjB/InterfaceB? Is it so much better that I should upgrade to 10.3 NOW rather than when I get around to it?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Xcode replaces Project Builder, but not Interface Builder, which is where most of the books' focus tends to be, in my experience.

I would think that the basics of PB could be translated to the basics of Xcode pretty quickly. You may want to wait, but since PB/Xcode is only a very small fraction of the pile of stuff you'll be studying (Cocoa, IB, Obj-C, etc), I don't see a serious problem.