T-mobile cellphone service

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Anybody got any complaints about them or a "no, you should go here before you try them" sort of suggestion? How about cellphone model suggestions or stay-away warnings?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 32
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    As far as I know they're pretty good now. I just can't help associating them with how they used to be, when they were known as One2One.

Amorya
  • Reply 2 of 32
    randycat99randycat99 Posts: 1,919member
    Speaking of new images, Catherine Zeta is such a scrumptous morsel. I want to give her the swizzle action...
  • Reply 3 of 32
    I'm using AT&T right now, and will probably change over to T-Mobile in the next few weeks. I don't want to go with Verizon or Sprint because I need a tri-band GSM phone for travel outside the US and I had pertty poor service when I was with Cingular three years ago. AT&T are by far the worst in my estimation.

There are probably plenty of people who've had problems with T-Mobile, but everyone I know that uses them say they have been good. They have a bit of an edge in that their 'free weekends' start on Thursday night and their unlimited data GPRS service is $20 a month.

As for which phone to pick, you might want to take a look at what the phone obsessives in the Howard Forums are recommending.
  • Reply 4 of 32
    Very informative! Thanks for the tip- I'll check it out right away!
  • Reply 5 of 32
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    I have a T610 (free from Amazon) and T-Mobile with an unlimited data transfer rate.

Works fine. Syncs with my Macs. Checks my email. Holds my schedule. the volume on the ear is a little low, but otherwise I have no complaints.

Make sure you check out the Sidekick.
  • Reply 6 of 32
    Quote:

Originally posted by midwinter

I have a T610 (free from Amazon) and T-Mobile with an unlimited data transfer rate.

Definitely a good idea to get the phone and service via Amazon. They'll rebate at least $100 (and up to $300) of a handset's price compared to purchasing direct from T-Mobile (the rebates come out of the commission they recieve from T-Mobile - or another provider - for signing a new customer).

The only reason to get your phone and service directly from the provider (at full price) would be if your credit rating is in bad shape.
  • Reply 7 of 32
  • Reply 8 of 32
    Sidekick? What's that?
  • Reply 9 of 32
    clicky.

It's basically a phone, a web browser, email client, and an IM thingy all in one. Apparently you can get it for $99 now.
  • Reply 10 of 32
    Quote:

Originally posted by midwinter

clicky.

It's basically a phone, a web browser, email client, and an IM thingy all in one. Apparently you can get it for $99 now.

WOW!!!
  • Reply 11 of 32
    Quote:

Originally posted by Randycat99

WOW!!!

Yup. Wanna buy my T610?
  • Reply 12 of 32
    Woz was initially on the Danger (makers of the sidekick) board of directors. He's on the advisory board now, so it should be a nice Mac friendly product.
  • Reply 13 of 32
    gycgyc Posts: 90member
    As with all wireless service providers, there are areas where they're great and other areas where they suck. It'll be much more productive if you ask subscribers around your area about how good they are rather than a diverse group of internet users from around the world. For me, they're pretty damn good, but YMMV.
  • Reply 14 of 32
    Quote:

Originally posted by gyc

As with all wireless service providers, there are areas where they're great and other areas where they suck. It'll be much more productive if you ask subscribers around your area about how good they are rather than a diverse group of internet users from around the world. For me, they're pretty damn good, but YMMV.

Very true! I just needed some initial info to figure out directions I should pursue.
  • Reply 15 of 32
    Quote:

Originally posted by Randycat99

Very true! I just needed some initial info to figure out directions I should pursue.

I can tell you now that depending on where I am (I live in the mountains) my t-mobile reception can be spotty and weak while Sprint signals are generally fine.
  • Reply 16 of 32
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    I've got T-Mobile. It's good everywhere except for around here. I have no service in a lot of my area which really sucks.
  • Reply 17 of 32
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    I have Verizon and it is awesome in Chicago. Almost no dropped calls, great service, and I have an awesome deal.
  • Reply 18 of 32
    TMobile = GSM = French technology = crap.

Sorry Powerdoc, but in the last 6 months especially I've come to expect little from european Hi-Tech in general.

The French contribution to signal procesing ended in the 19th century. Verizon and Sprint use a different technology with is a lot better, and perhaps that's the reason why 3rd gen systems tend to be much closer to what Verizon and Sprint use (CDMA).

I've been told that Verizon can reliably operate below 0dB signal to noise ratio. That's astounding. GSM systems do not have multipath capabilities and have greatly reduced capabilities. The bottom line? TMobile gets weak reception in all but the densest urban areas, and the cells get overcrowded more easily, meaning that reception goes to hell when more people get on their phones.
  • Reply 19 of 32
    I've got t-mobile and I've never had a service that's been better. AT&T, Cingular, Sprint. All of them sucked at one point or another. T-mobile's been great. No billing issues, no dropped calls, great reception. I highly recommend it if you get a signal in your area.
  • Reply 20 of 32
    I would also like to hear your guy's opinions on the "digital-modulated cellphone sound" phenomenon. It sounds like some sort of machine voice or a really bad mp3. I hate when I get calls from people on cellphones and they sound like this. Is there a way to avoid it? Where does it come from? Are certain phones or services vulnerable to this?