Combining Disk Images

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I am trying to combine 4 disk images and stuffit 8 just brings up a dialog for a second and closes, so I can't even see what's going on and it doesn't do anything then. Is there a another way to combine them?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

I am trying to combine 4 disk images and stuffit 8 just brings up a dialog for a second and closes, so I can't even see what's going on and it doesn't do anything then. Is there a another way to combine them?

What do you mean by "combine"? You may extract the data from your four images into a single folder or four separate folders and create an archive containing the data. You may also create an archive or larger image with the data. You may place your four images in a folder and create a wrapper image or archive of that folder. There are other possible solutions. Perhaps it would help if you explained your reasons for wanting to combine the images.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    There is a larger one disc image that has been segmented and why I try to use the join feature in Stuffit Deluxe, it doesn't work like I described above.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    I downloaded the XCode tools from developer.apple.com, and it was in 20 or so DMG segments. For a while I was really confused, trying to get them all to open, and read together... and then I noticed when I opened the first segment, it automatically read all the others and put it all together for me behind the scenes. I was expecting to need to do something...
  • Reply 4 of 9
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bauman

I downloaded the XCode tools from developer.apple.com, and it was in 20 or so DMG segments. For a while I was really confused, trying to get them all to open, and read together... and then I noticed when I opened the first segment, it automatically read all the others and put it all together for me behind the scenes. I was expecting to need to do something...

Exactly. I came across one of those too, not too long ago. Turns out there's just one file to open (the one true .dmg), and that will in turn get its stuff from the others. Burning is the same, even: just select to burn the one .dmg that is recognised and all will miraculously appear on your disc. This is not segmentation as we know stuffIT.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Quote:

There is a larger one disc image that has been segmented and why I try to use the join feature in Stuffit Deluxe, it doesn't work like I described above.

Segmented disk images have been around since like MacOS 7.5. As has been said above, you try to mount the first image and the rest are mounted automatically.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    So once I join...I don't have to do anything else, it does it in a second or two and I just try to mount the first one then?
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Quote:

So once I join...I don't have to do anything else, it does it in a second or two and I just try to mount the first one then?

The only segmented disk image that I have ever used was a MacOS 7.x upgrade. Things have changed a bit since then. However, I would expect that you should need only double-click on the primary disk image. The rest should be automatic. The time required will depend on the size of your images.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    I changed the names around and got it to give me this now...

"An error occured while joining segments.

The Stuffit Engine was unable to determine the file format (17514)"

perhaps someone knows a fix to this?
  • Reply 9 of 9
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    Quote:

I changed the names around and got it to give me this now...

"An error occured while joining segments.

The Stuffit Engine was unable to determine the file format (17514)"

perhaps someone knows a fix to this?

Stop using stuffit! This is a DISK image, not something stuffit could handle. Open with DiskImageMounter, or whatever it's called, or with Disk Utility.