32GIGABYTES of system RAM in a G5!

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
That's right, yours for the princely sum of 56,000USD plus the cost of a powermac.

See the link from our good friends at Crucial

Actually, you need slightly faster DDR for the PMG5, but I trust it's comming down the pipe.

$7000 dollars a piece! EEEK.

Not quite a cost effective substitute for RAID, yet.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    how about using it as VRAM ?

coming soon: the ATI Infinity with 4GB of VRAM and an extra 4GB for texture memory

let 1000 windows bloom on that baby...
  • Reply 2 of 23
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    EDIT: Reread Matsu's post. Duh I be the wrongheaded.
  • Reply 3 of 23
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    Anyone have about $60,000 they want to loan me. Dang, that would be a sweet machine. It was only a matter of time before it happened, but...wow. That's amazing.
  • Reply 4 of 23
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Please. There would be those here - and you know who you are - who'd bitch, somehow/someway, that it wasn't enough.

• Reply 5 of 23
    Photoshop itself needs AT LEAST 32GB of RAM to run effectively...

• Reply 6 of 23

128kb ought to be enough for anybody....sheesh

• Reply 7 of 23
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    NOW maybe they'll add RAM Disk back in to OS X!
  • Reply 8 of 23
    Patience. I worked at Activision (in the Atari 2600 cartridge days) and the company librarian had an IBM PC with a really nice 5MB (yes, MB) external hard drive which cost USD 10,000. And this was in the days when a nice apartment in Palo Alto went for USD 400 a month.

When you guys are old farts, I guarantee your kids will say "HOW much for a lousy 32 Gigs of RAM? Hey, our X-Pods have 4 TB of RAM and they're only $29 at World-Mart!"
  • Reply 9 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

It's already possible via the command line or ramBunctious.
  • Reply 10 of 23
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    I know I was half kidding. It would be kinda nice to add in since most people haven't heard of UNIX and don't know about Versiontracker though.
  • Reply 11 of 23
    1 gig sticks for 12" Powerbook are still coming down. $549 currently. C'mon $300 range!

I looked on Apple for RAM specs and prices for the heck of it. According to them, they don't sell 1 gig chips for the Rev. A 12" Powerbooks. Um... okay. Its the same exact kind of RAM for the Rev. B models.

I remember when 1 gig RAM chips were $800 and that was only earlier this year.
  • Reply 12 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wrong Robot

128kb ought to be enough for anybody....sheesh

Actually, Bill Gates' quote was "640kb ought to be enough for anybody"
  • Reply 13 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by curiousuburb

how about using it as VRAM ?

coming soon: the ATI Infinity with 4GB of VRAM and an extra 4GB for texture memory

let 1000 windows bloom on that baby...

Those folks would be using a Silicon Graphics Onyx 2 supercomputer with that kind of texture memory specs. The boxes are beasts...
  • Reply 14 of 23
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

What the hell is RAM disk, and why do you still need it in OS X? The OS does that automatically, no?
  • Reply 15 of 23
    yevgenyyevgeny Posts: 1,148member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Voxapps

When you guys are old farts, I guarantee your kids will say "HOW much for a lousy 32 Gigs of RAM? Hey, our X-Pods have 4 TB of RAM and they're only $29 at World-Mart!"

More likely, my children will be cloned and born in exowombs on a space habitat and I will be the old codger in the corner who mumbles about when computers used silicon transistors instead of quantum gates and light based CPUs.

"Back in my day, we had pointers. Real men programmed with pointers, wimp flunkies programmed in Java or .Net." That's what I'll say. Crap, I turn 30 in 3 months.
  • Reply 16 of 23
    yevgenyyevgeny Posts: 1,148member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

What the hell is RAM disk, and why do you still need it in OS X? The OS does that automatically, no?

OSX has a rather good virtual memory system, so yes, it should mostly be able to do everything RAM disk did. However, I suppose a RAM disk might be nice if someone wanted to explicitly make sure that something was loaded into RAM and didn't leave. Of course VM would do this effectively, so you really wouldn't need it so long as you didn't use alot of other apps. For all intents and purposes, if you keep using an app, VM obviously won't swap the app contents out of main memory.
  • Reply 17 of 23
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    A thread will appear demanding 32GB of stock RAM in iMacs in 3... 2... 1...
  • Reply 18 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by curiousuburb

Actually, Bill Gates' quote was "640kb ought to be enough for anybody"

Actually, good old Bill never said that.

It's an urban myth.

I kid you not.

http://www.urbanlegends.com/celebrit...es_memory.html

• Reply 19 of 23
    guestguest Posts: 112member
    That's actually pretty cheap. I remember when 64 MB sticks cost 5 grand each. It was a serious investment to put 256 MB in your mac. I'm sure when these sticks become affordable, we'll be bitching about the price on 1 TB sticks.
  • Reply 20 of 23
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    Quote:

Originally posted by guest

That's actually pretty cheap. I remember when 64 MB sticks cost 5 grand each. It was a serious investment to put 256 MB in your mac. I'm sure when these sticks become affordable, we'll be bitching about the price on 1 TB sticks.

Exactly. I long for that day.