Software Missing from the Mac

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I've been using my Mac (PB G4/550Ti/512) for about two years now, and am happy with it for most tasks, but there are still some things that niggle.

I'm running 10.2.8 and haven't seen any significant differences fro 10.2.6 apart from a vast decrease in battery life but I gather .8 is a bit of a lemon anyway. 10.3 will appear when I have some money.

Office v.X - despite the thread of complaints regarding v.X I haven't found anything that seriously upsets me during its operation, but it could be a little quicker.

Safari - Why oh why don't all websites work in Safari??? I love the browser but every now and then hit a site that doesn't quite work.

Adobe Production suite - If I had the skills this would be a lovely suite of tools, as it is I barely scrape the surface of what they can do.

OK so that's what I'm happy with... what I'd like is

- A decent accounting package that supports standing orders and other personal requirements but not one of the big business packages... when with there be a Quicken personal edition?

- My degree course is in Manufacturing and Mechanical Engineering. The Mac is sorely lacking in engineering tools like Pro/Engineer and Pro/Desktop as well as other CAD tools. What kind of thing is likely to be in the pipeline now the G5 is out a powerful rendering system.

-MSN with support for all those poncy MSN 6 icons and stuff. I'm fed up with people telling me to get the windows version! I know MSN is a dump but I still have plenty of contacts using it.

I think that just about covers all that's missing for me. What kind of programs do you think are missing that mean you have to keep a PC lying about to do 'menial' stuff on?

Chris

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chris Hinds

- My degree course is in Manufacturing and Mechanical Engineering. The Mac is sorely lacking in engineering tools like Pro/Engineer and Pro/Desktop as well as other CAD tools. What kind of thing is likely to be in the pipeline now the G5 is out a powerful rendering system.

Maybe Ashlar has some products you could use. I don't know much (i.e. nothing) about CAD though.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Quicken is a personal accounting program. Quickbooks is the commercial tool. If you are looking for something even more simple, I'd look into freeware.

As far as CAD, I've found VectorWorks to be far superior than anything I've used on any platform. It also runs best on the Mac. Now, I used it for architectural purposes and am not certain of its engineering strengths and weaknesses.

I wouldn't count on MSN getting any better on the Mac until Office 11. Though I wouldn't hold my breath for a Windows-like experience.

Regarding software I would like to see on the Mac, I'd like more games. Not because I play many games, but because I'm sick of everyone bitching about it...a few missing games seems like such a silly basis for choosing a platform.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    bigbluebigblue Posts: 341member
    So the only thing missing on the MAc platform is games, huh ? Times ARE getting better

I have a similar complaint, not because it's needed, but just for the naggers out there. 3D Max for OSX would be great.

Mmmm... That's about it, I think.

And no, we don't need 2453 text editors and 675 video editing programs. 8)
  • Reply 4 of 5
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BigBlue

And no, we don't need 2453 text editors

No. But one really good one would be nice.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by der Kopf

Maybe Ashlar has some products you could use. I don't know much (i.e. nothing) about CAD though.

Interesting you mention them... they are right upstairs, if you ever have any questions let me know they are the coolest developers I've ever met.

Ashlars tools are great for imaging from say technical drawings, compare it too Rhino. As far as a Cad drawing program though i wish AutoCad was on mac