Free Software that comes with the PB

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Hi Folks

I got my new powerbook about a month ago and promptly installed panther from the CD it came with. Thinking that since I'd only just bought it there wouldn't be anything on the drives that I needed I did a clean install.

I have now realised that I deleted the software that comes free with the powerbook (omni outliner, graffle etc.). Ooops. So does anyone here know what my steps should be to get replacements, I'm guessing contact Apple support, but want to check if anyone else has been in the same situation and what the outcome was for them.

Thanks

Adam

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    Quote:

Originally posted by myogenic

Hi Folks

I got my new powerbook about a month ago and promptly installed panther from the CD it came with. Thinking that since I'd only just bought it there wouldn't be anything on the drives that I needed I did a clean install.

I have now realised that I deleted the software that comes free with the powerbook (omni outliner, graffle etc.). Ooops. So does anyone here know what my steps should be to get replacements, I'm guessing contact Apple support, but want to check if anyone else has been in the same situation and what the outcome was for them.

Thanks

Adam

the 'easy' way is to go through a clean install with the provided CDs/DVD. Software Setup or something like that. My old iBook came with 3-4 CDs and one by one, would install all the software.

Or you can also get a program called pacifist (check versiontracker.com ) and extract the various apps you need..

at least, this should work
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Thanks for that ZO. I've downloaded pacifist and had a poke around the software restore cd. But the only applications I can find are the Apple apps. No sign of Omni Graffle, Quickbooks etc. which are the apps I'm trying to recover. Am I being blind?
  • Reply 3 of 5
    You install that software by installing the software restore application from the software restore disc. You install that and you run it and it will ask you to insert the proper disk and you can install the applications you want.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Doh! You do indeed. I was a bit scared of overwriting my mail app etc. Thanks pensieve, guess I should have more faith in apple's installer not doing bad things. I'm a new OSX user from windows though so hope you'll understand my over caution
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by myogenic

Doh! You do indeed. I was a bit scared of overwriting my mail app etc. Thanks pensieve, guess I should have more faith in apple's installer not doing bad things. I'm a new OSX user from windows though so hope you'll understand my over caution

Yeah, it got me too. I figured what the hell, I'll try it and it worked just fine. Glad it worked for you.