My modest proposal.

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
This line of thought was spawned by reading through the thread dealing with the polygamist trying to invoke the Texas Privacy ruling. The discussion pursued ideas of legal definitions of marriage.

In the discussions I've heard on NPR a panelist discusses the possiblity of civil unions for same sex partners. I don't think this idea is too far off base. Why not civil unions for partners of either sexual orientation. As for the concept of marriage, the state should take no part in marriage, their concern is civil unions. Marriage is exclusive to a person's spiritual beliefs. Hence seperation of church and state. They can get married through a spiritual guide of their choice. They get a civil union through lawyers and a judge. The marriage has no legal implications and civil unions do carry legal responsibilities for both the individuals in said civil union and the state.

I'll go further in that civil unions are not indefinite in time period. You can set a contract for a civil union for any length of time, at the end of which the partners can choose to continue the union or to let it dissolve. However, if one of the partners should happen to breach the terms of the civil union contract there are legal actions that can be turned to by the other partner.

Of course those that choose marriage can also choose a civil union, but the civil union and marriage are independent of each other. A divorce of a marriage does not dissolve the civil union, nor does the end of the term of a civil union divorce a marriage.

In the end civil union's power lies within the law, the marriage's power lies within each person's faith and conscience.

Farfetched, idealistic? Yes, but I think it makes more sense then what we have now.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    I'm all for it. Makes sense to me, and I don't think it's farfetched or overly idealistic. Makes rational sense.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    ... and we swiftly begin down the slippery path that ends with us all eating children.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    liquidrliquidr Posts: 884member
    only if they're your own, cuz they are from your body and the gov't can't tell you what to do with your body, unless it is an illegal drug, are children illegal drugs?
  • Reply 4 of 15
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    I would imagine that a VAST majority of those interested in a marriage would want it to be an automatic civil union from the get-go. There might be a small -- and I mean REALLY small -- number of couples who would want a marriage but not civil union. The very idea of that goes against what a marriage exemplifies.

My 2 cents. \
  • Reply 5 of 15
    Originally posted by CosmoNut

Quote:

TThere might be a small -- and I mean REALLY small -- number of couples who would want a marriage but not civil union. The very idea of that goes against what a marriage exemplifies.

I don't see how it goes againt what marriage exemplifies. To myself and many others I speak with marriage is a spiritual santification of a union, to put it in general terms. The legal implications and benefits are after thoughts. Many of the legal regards around the obligation of marriage is often held as a moral obligation of marriage anyways.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    Someone may think that their marriage is both spiritual and a social contract . . . . in fact I think that is why, even today, if you are getting married and want it to be religious you still need to get down there to city hall and register and sign papers . . .

but if you don't care bout the religion all you have to do is head to city hall and register and sign papers . . .

I think that marriage is social as well as personal

and I believe that we as a culture could choose not to allow homosexual marriage but I also think that we, as a culture, are in such a form that we could and should allow it.

I believe this because it seems commensurate with the shape of our culture . .. . I am not making any final judgements about essences of the sacrdedness of yin and yang or etc . . .
  • Reply 7 of 15
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    . . . by the way, I AM against the eating of our children . . .
  • Reply 8 of 15
    Quote:

originally posted by pfflam

Someone may think that their marriage is both spiritual and a social contract . . . . in fact I think that is why, even today, if you are getting married and want it to be religious you still need to get down there to city hall and register and sign papers . . .

but if you don't care bout the religion all you have to do is head to city hall and register and sign papers . . .

I think that marriage is social as well as personal

and I believe that we as a culture could choose not to allow homosexual marriage but I also think that we, as a culture, are in such a form that we could and should allow it.

I believe this because it seems commensurate with the shape of our culture . .. . I am not making any final judgements about essences of the sacrdedness of yin and yang or etc . . .

Yes, many do consider it to be both spiritual and social. But there are those who could give a rat's ass about the legal implications, they feel in their whole heart and are bound by their faith.

My idea allows for both. It should keep at bay those opposed to gov't ok'd same sex marriage. (for awhile anyways) At this point marriage is completely a religious decision, the gov't should have no say in the doctrines of different churches. Then the civil union is not a religious sanctification of the coupling, it is legal recognition of the couples sharing of legal and financial responsibilities, affording them certain benefits and liabilities.

I really don't think our ideals on this are radically different, I just think perhaps we see the solution to the problem differently.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pfflam

. . . by the way, I AM against the eating of our children . . .

<Eddie Izzard Reference>

Babies taste of chicken.

</Eddie Izzard Reference>
  • Reply 10 of 15
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Quote:

Originally posted by midwinter

<Eddie Izzard Reference>

Babies taste of chicken.

</Eddie Izzard Reference>

In that case bring them on.

What is good enough for Superman is good enough for me.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    Quote:

originally posted by pfflam

. . by the way, I AM against the eating of our children . .

They do make imitation children, it's made from turkey.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    smirclesmircle Posts: 1,035member
    Quote:

Originally posted by LiquidR

In the end civil union's power lies within the law, the marriage's power lies within each person's faith and conscience.

I like the idea

But be prepared for some very fierce resistance from religious quarters. Christian churches have traditionally had the defining power when it came to marriage. They lost it some time ago, but they will not yield their hold on the spiritual part to each person's faith willingly.

If you campaign for the idea, drop me a note, I'll donate some money
  • Reply 13 of 15
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    I only eat beer-fed Irish children.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Quote:

Originally posted by audiopollution

... and we swiftly begin down the slippery path that ends with us all eating children.

Oh my goodness, you're right. I already found the link.

Woman claims civil unions allow eating of children

Nick
  • Reply 15 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by trumptman

Oh my goodness, you're right. I already found the link.

Woman claims civil unions allow eating of children

Nick

You were so close to finding the related article, too!

Avoid Paternity Payments In One Easy Meal