Just ordered my 15" was this the wrong time?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I just placed my order for a 15" powerbook. Now I am worried that this was the wrong time. When I bought my G3, three weeks later the released the G4. I don't want this to happen again. Did I make a mistake? I thought the current 15"ers have not been out as long as the 12 and 17. Is this true?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    I think you're very safe. Don't worry about it either way.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    stunnedstunned Posts: 1,096member
    Relax. G5 PBs will not be out so soon. And even if they do, I am sure they will be more expensive.

Enjoy your PB!!
  • Reply 3 of 5
    I just got one. no defects as of yet, couldn't be happier with it.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    mac+mac+ Posts: 580member
    Congratulations - the 15" AlPB is a great machine. Enjoy it!

(btw: I hope that your model doesn't suffer the dreaded white dots or broken latch problems as discussed in this massive thread! )
  • Reply 5 of 5
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    As mentioned above, I'm sure any G5-based portable is going to be - out of the gate - EXPENSIVE, compared to today's G4 aluminum series.

And will probably get about 17 minutes of battery life, to boot.

Who needs that grief?

Enjoy your new 15" PowerBook (goodness knows I'm digging mine to no end!) and don't get sucked into the dreaded "...if I wait just a bit longer, I can get a..." way of thinking because you'll wake up one day and your life will have passed you by and you'll find yourself using a 6-year-old computer you can barely use...just because you kept waiting and second-guessing everything.

Bear in mind, however, that I'm NOT saying "be a frivolous, carefree dumb-butt and buy gear the day before a Macworld Expo keynote...or 10 month's in to a product's life" (you do have to be somewhat smart and informed about what's what and revision cycles and so forth, and generally be aware of what's out there and what might be coming) but considering how new/recent these PowerBooks are, I think you're safe for a good while before any revision or anything alarmingly new or different is unveiled.

I'd be shocked beyond words if anything were done to the PowerBooks before late spring 2004. It might even be summer, just based on history (particularly this last round, prior to the Paris Expo PowerBook updates: 10 and 8 months with no updates to the 15" TiBook and the aluminum models, respectively).