best deals and when to buy

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I want to buy

ibook 933 or 1gz 60hd bt/ae(probably 1gz)

ipod--20 30

what about apple care is it worth it for both products?

who has the best deals, bundles

macmall has a 30g ipod for 424

but when they give free ram, etc there are mail in rebates, so they get their money first then you have to wait.

has anyone delt with either macconnection, or macmall??

also when will the best deals be available before christmas, do i wait till the week before or go for it now???

it's a timing thing

thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    Sites like this will help out:

http://macprices.com/

http://www.dealmac.com
  • Reply 2 of 8
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    if i want BT and AE do i install it myself or can i configure to have these already in and ready to go. applecare do you buy that directly from apple, do i have to purchase applecare at the time of purchase from say macconnection (i'm not sure they offer it)
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by NOFEER

if i want BT and AE do i install it myself or can i configure to have these already in and ready to go. applecare do you buy that directly from apple, do i have to purchase applecare at the time of purchase from say macconnection (i'm not sure they offer it)

Bluetooth HAS to be pre-installed, you can't add internal bluetooth yourself.

Airport Extreme can come pre-installed, or you can add it yourself later.

When you buy a system, you automatically have one year of AppleCare, you can purchase the 3-year plan and add it at any time during that first year.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    thanks mucho, you just saved me a big mistake, macconnection said "they don't have the module, but you can add it yourself"

I cancelled the order

Now---does anyone other than apple have the BT ibook or is this only available from apple?
  • Reply 5 of 8
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    I don't know of any resellers that have an internal Bluetooth BTO iBook... occasionally someone like Smalldog will have a BTO config, though that's usually a HD upgrade of some sort.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    i bought a 933 ibook with BT and AE from apple store (thanks for the quick replies saved a little over the 1gz, will wait for applecare, another post offered an alternative insurance including theft and drops etc, will have to get online support from AI if no applecare
  • Reply 7 of 8
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    Quote:

Originally posted by NOFEER

i bought a 933 ibook with BT and AE from apple store (thanks for the quick replies saved a little over the 1gz, will wait for applecare, another post offered an alternative insurance including theft and drops etc, will have to get online support from AI if no applecare

AppleInsider ain't going to give you a new DVD drive if yours fails, nor will it replace your video card if it starts to go bad. Get applecare.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    what about "safeware" is it a reasonable alternative to applecare, it seems to cover accidents and theft take a look\\

opinion??

from general discussion "is applecare necessary"

Safeware http://www.safeware.com/

quote:So you just bought your computer, and AppleCare is less than you need. AppleCare only covers defects in Apple computer parts over an extended term (beyond 1 year), along with free technical support beyond the 90 days provided by Apple. What happens if you, for instance, drop your computer? Mere homeowner insurance may carry a high deductible. Safeware will for a fee provide you with total coverage for your computer. TOTAL coverage. You should really opt to take safeware insurance, as the costs may be more than AppleCare but will provide you with damage protection as well. No support plan other than real insurance provides this, and to my knowledge NO Apple dealer will provide this level of coverage. Want real peace of mind? Safeware!