LOTR: The Return of the King

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
17th is launch day here in London

Tickets booked.

Big, big screen

Quite excited.

Much anticipation in the office (except among several girls who think it's all irrelevant nonsense; they may well be right, but we choose to ignore them)

Trying to avoid spoilers. Have resisted so far, despite temptation from some detailed reviews.

Must remember not to have beer before film. Last time I did that, fell asleep in Matrix Reloaded. Still have no idea what the architect thing was all about

Hang loose

--------------

Now playing: Ennio Morricone

London weather: dull McDull

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by brandnewfatboy

Must remember not to have beer before film. Last time I did that, fell asleep in Matrix Reloaded.

Don't think falling asleep will be a problem. Needing to take a whiz 2 1/2 hours into the film might be though.

Quote:

Trying to avoid spoilers. Have resisted so far, despite temptation from some detailed reviews.

Jackson, Boyens and Walsh made "a few changes" from the book because they felt the movie needed a little more "dramatic tension":

In the movie, Frodo dies. Sam takes the Ring, kills Gollum, roasts him on a spit and eats him, with herbs and a little lembas bread. The Nazgul see Sam's fire, kill Sam and take the Ring to Sauron. Sauron tries the use the Ring to "cover all the lands in darkness" but ... it doesn't work! It's not the real Ring! (The look in Sauron's Eye when he realizes this is priceless; some great CG work!) The real Ring, it turns out, is held by a disgruntled Nazgul who has harbored a secret jealousy of the Witch-king (the head Nazgul) for thousands of years. Sauron teams up with Aragorn and Gandalf to get the Ring back from the rogue Nazgul, whom Arwen battles in an epic sword fight and destroys. The Ring falls on the ground, where it is picked up ... by Tom Bombadil, who flips it in the air, puts it in his pocket and walks away. Sauron, Gandalf and everyone else just stop and look at each other for a moment, unsure what to do next. Then Aragorn says, "So does this mean I can be King now?" Tension-breaking laughter by all. Roll credits.
  • Reply 2 of 27
    don't forget the Shelob -vs- Cave Troll cage match with it's eight-eye-gouge move...

maybe old neil postman had something with that book -vs- tv thing...
  • Reply 3 of 27
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CaseCom

In the movie, Frodo dies. Sam takes the Ring, kills Gollum, roasts him on a spit and eats him, with herbs and a little lembas bread. The Nazgul see Sam's fire, kill Sam and take the Ring to Sauron. Sauron tries the use the Ring to "cover all the lands in darkness" but ... it doesn't work! It's not the real Ring! (The look in Sauron's Eye when he realizes this is priceless; some great CG work!) The real Ring, it turns out, is held by a disgruntled Nazgul who has harbored a secret jealousy of the Witch-king (the head Nazgul) for thousands of years. Sauron teams up with Aragorn and Gandalf to get the Ring back from the rogue Nazgul, whom Arwen battles in an epic sword fight and destroys. The Ring falls on the ground, where it is picked up ... by Tom Bombadil, who flips it in the air, puts it in his pocket and walks away. Sauron, Gandalf and everyone else just stop and look at each other for a moment, unsure what to do next. Then Aragorn says, "So does this mean I can be King now?" Tension-breaking laughter by all. Roll credits.

Um, could you please tell us you're giving away SPOILERS next time? Now the movie is ruined for me.

• Reply 4 of 27
    argentoargento Posts: 483member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

Um, could you please tell us you're giving away SPOILERS next time? Now the movie is ruined for me.

My God I hope you're kidding.
  • Reply 5 of 27
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

Thanks, I needed that.
  • Reply 6 of 27
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Quote:

I read the spoiler
  • Reply 7 of 27
    RoTK!!!!!!!!!!!!

*falls over*

*naptime*
  • Reply 8 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by CaseCom

... The Ring falls on the ground, where it is picked up ... by Tom Bombadil, who flips it in the air, puts it in his pocket and walks away....

I'm glad old Tom made it back into the movie.
  • Reply 9 of 27
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Uh, doesn't everyone already know the storyline? I didn't think the LotR trilogy was banking on the element of surprise.
  • Reply 10 of 27
    stunnedstunned Posts: 1,096member
    We have a LOTR marathon movie session in Singapore on the 17th.

Watch all 3 epiosdes in one go! Sweet!
  • Reply 11 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by stunned

We have a LOTR marathon movie session in Singapore on the 17th.

Watch all 3 epiosdes in one go! Sweet!

There's no human being than can go through all 3 of them back to back.
  • Reply 12 of 27
    You may want to put a catheter in before you go
  • Reply 13 of 27
    anandanand Posts: 285member
    This whole series has been dissapointing. Elrond to Aragorn: "Become the man you were born to be". What is this, a stinking ARMY ad?
  • Reply 14 of 27
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Well good, your seat can go to someone who enjoys it then.

Mistimed the first movie. Opening day, Seattle, at the Cineplex (*drool*). I missed the last 60 seconds of the movie because the bladder cramps had gone past pain into searing pain.

It wasn't until I saw it the second time that I heard the "Let's go kill some orcs." :P

For TTT I refrained from caffeine or liquid of any sort for three hours beforehand. :P
  • Reply 15 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by piwozniak

There's no human being than can go through all 3 of them back to back.

Don't tempt me.
  • Reply 16 of 27
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Quote:

[B]There's no human being than can go through all 3 of them back to back./B]

You just $$$$ing watch me when RotK extended edition DVD gets here.

I can sit on my ass without eating, drinking or peeing for 10 hours.
  • Reply 17 of 27
    I'd call that endurance.
  • Reply 18 of 27
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

You just $$$$ing watch me when RotK extended edition DVD gets here.

I can sit on my ass without eating, drinking or peeing for 10 hours.

I swear to god that's all I'm waiting for, as well. 10 hours. Solid. Only take breaks for cigarettes.
  • Reply 19 of 27
    casecomcasecom Posts: 314member
    I've got my tickets: 12:01 a.m., Dec. 17, Southdale 16 in Edina, Minn.

See you there!
  • Reply 20 of 27
    Disturbed yet intrigued by the concept of the 10 hour LOTR endurance challenge. By the end, I suspect my eyes would be bleeding from input overload. Might have to risk it tho.

What about all 3 films followed immediately by all the extras? How many hours would that run to? Not sure the no eating, drinking or peeing plan would hold up unless an espresso drip + catheter combo was fitted.

Also somewhat disturbed by CaseCom's vision of roasting Gollum on a spit. He's a scrawny fella, is it really worth the effort of cooking him? Now Sam, he's a bit of a gutlord, would roast up well. Perhaps served with garlic butter and chilli sauce. Assuming the Nazgul could rustle some up.

CaseCom - 12.01am? as in very early indeed? good effort.

---------------

Now playing; Air

London weather: too early to have decided whether to be dull or just pissy