Removing G5 handles

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
A thread from MacNN. It may be disturbing to our more sensitive posters.

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...hreadid=191723

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    gabidgabid Posts: 477member
    Quote:

Originally posted by LudwigVan

A thread from MacNN. It may be disturbing to our more sensitive posters.

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...hreadid=191723

Damn! That would seriously mess with the look of the machine; the case just flows into the handles. Quite beautifully done, actually. On the side without the door it looks like one nice clean piece of metal. Also, the handles are quite handy. Don't think I'll be taking out a hacksaw anytime soon...
  • Reply 2 of 16
    That thread makes me think "Yeah, I'd saw the handles off my G5 too" in the most sarcastic way possible.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    I cringed when I read this. You think I'm kidding, but I'm not. The idea of sawing that machine, or "putting it in a vice and bending the handles". What the heck is this guy thinking. Apple makes the most elegant and beautiful hardware in the world, I could never take a saw to any computer.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    I hate those desks anyway.

Besides, the G5 case costs $500. You can build a fantastic custom desk for that kind of money...and with less effort than bending or sawing anodized aluminum, I imagine.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    It's like that time that I bought that brand new Porsche 911 Turbo, but it was too wide for my driveway.

I could have a lifted the grass and laid another row of paving slabs, but I decided it would be easier for all concerned to saw the thing in half - right down the middle.

I wish I hadn't now though, the novelty of the scraping noise and the sparks is wearing a bit thin. Plus you get soaking when you drive it in the rain. I can only drive the damn thing in circles.

But hey my front garden looks great!
  • Reply 6 of 16
    jubelumjubelum Posts: 4,490member
    Messiah: (That was great)
  • Reply 7 of 16
    Ahh, the things people will do to get their $3000 computer onto their $200 desk.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    Geez... that made my head hurt. I am getting a monstrous LaCie monitor soon that won't fit on my current desk. So I am building a bigger desk. Its not rocket science.
  • Reply 9 of 16
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    So you guys are going to hate me for taking an acetylene torch to my Cube to fit the $100 desk I got at Staples, aren't you?

Meanies.

• Reply 10 of 16
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

So you guys are going to hate me for taking an acetylene torch to my Cube to fit the $100 desk I got at Staples, aren't you?

Meanies.

Tell me you're kidding.

The cube doesn't even need to go under a desk anyway: it's so compact that it has minimal footprint.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    That reminds me - I'll need to buy a hacksaw blade this weekend. Damned 17" PowerBook won't fit in my old rucksack.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

Tell me you're kidding.

i think that's what his "winking smiley" meant.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    yevgenyyevgeny Posts: 1,148member
    "Stupid XServe! 1U is too thick"

(runs poor XServe over with car several times)

"Much Better!"
  • Reply 14 of 16
    rageousrageous Posts: 2,170member
    This isn't as impossible as some seem to suggest.

When i got my G5, I had trouble fitting it under my desk. I torched off the bottom handles, and welded a new flat piece of aluminum to make up for any structural damage done. Since the weld is on the bottom, you couldn't even notice it. I was pretty proud of what I'd accomplished.

Then I woke up, scratched my head, and thought that was one of the dumbest dreams I've ever had.
  • Reply 15 of 16
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

i think that's what his "winking smiley" meant.

I know, but the mere thought was so traumatizing that I had to be reassured.
  • Reply 16 of 16
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    nah, i'd just take out the drives and motherboard.

take a sledge to the handles, see if i couldn't flatten them out.

not a problem.