rechargeable AA's

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Does anyone know if rechargeable Lithium AA's batteries exist and if so, where I can get some (and a charger)? If not what would you say is the best alternative?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    NiMH
  • Reply 2 of 11
    If your looking for a good Rechargable battery, I like the Rayovac NiMH Ultra Rechargeable. Mine actually last longer than none rechargeable batteries. And they only take about 1 hour to charge
  • Reply 3 of 11
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,562member
    Amen to that. NiMH batteries are fantastic.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    Rechargeable Lithium AAs do not exist.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    kennethkenneth Posts: 832member
    Rayovac Renewal?
  • Reply 6 of 11
    i notice on all the chargers available in shops, have little warnings on them saying only to use rayovac batteries with a rayovac charger etc.

i've got a sony charger with a camera i bought and i've used all different brands of NiMH batteries with great success.

in fact the performance i've gotten out of them has been superior to any non-rechargeable i've ever used.

so i'd like to get another charger but i was wondering if these warnings are legit, or is it just proprietary mumbo jumbo to get you to buy their product.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    They're covering their own ass and limiting their responsibility for damage. There could be some truth to it, but mostly, it's them trying to limit their liability and get you to continue buying their products.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    Thanks for the replies gang. NiMH AA's are now on the Christmas list.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kenneth

Rayovac Renewal?

In theory you'd think that having rechargable alkaline batteries would be good, since alkalines last longer than the old Nickel Cadmium rechargables that take overnight to charge and then don't last long. But I've found that the Rayovac Renewals aren't that great. My Sony camera also came with NiMH batteries and a charger, and I get good battery life and great charging time from it. And as far as I know, an NiMH is an NiMH is an NiMH - as long as you use the proper type of battery with the matching charger, you should be fine. They just don't want you buying, say, a Duracell Ultra and putting it in the Rayovac charger, then suing them when it explodes and blinds you.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    n2nrnn2nrn Posts: 20member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno

In theory you'd think that having rechargable alkaline batteries would be good, since alkalines last longer than the old Nickel Cadmium rechargables that take overnight to charge and then don't last long. But I've found that the Rayovac Renewals aren't that great. My Sony camera also came with NiMH batteries and a charger, and I get good battery life and great charging time from it. And as far as I know, an NiMH is an NiMH is an NiMH - as long as you use the proper type of battery with the matching charger, you should be fine. They just don't want you buying, say, a Duracell Ultra and putting it in the Rayovac charger, then suing them when it explodes and blinds you.

There might also be a problem if you use a higher capacity NIHM than the charger is rated for. Rayovac rechargeable NIHMs are 1600 or 1800mah, while you can get higher capacity 2200mah batteries from other companies (Maha for one). The 2200mah batteries might overheat the rayovac charger.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    My SONY CD player comes with 2 Ni-MH rechargeable batteries (1400mAh, 1.2V). I put them into the CD player and charge them. However, I use them inside my Logitech MX700 wireless mouse even thought Logitech provided the batteries inside the box. They work ok in the Logitech mouse charger.

I have some Panasonic rechargeable batteries at home as well.. they are not bad.