iMac Swivel Stands?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Any G3 iMac owners think it's necessary to get a swivel stand? If so, which model/brand?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Years ago, I bought a cool little translucent/frosted plastic thing at Fry's. It was actually quite similar to today's eMac riser from Apple. Except it was only about $20 or so.

But it raised my iMac DV about 3-4" and gave it tilt/swivel capability which I really, really enjoyed. Depending on how I was working and what I was doing, I could set it wherever I wanted (in other words, I'd like to slouch low in my seat to surf or mess with iTunes or whatever...but, while working on "real" stuff, I'd sit up straighter and closer to it).

That riser allowed me to do both. And that's why on my iMac G4, that whole screen mobility thing was, by far, my absolute favorite feature!

Sadly, I can't remember the name of the product.

It's probably somewhere in one of my boxes (I don't remember throwing it out) and if I found it, I'd send it your way for a song.

Being that model (jellybean iMac, both tray- AND slot-loading) are so "long ago", you don't really see these types of devices out there like you used to, 3-4 years ago.

Contour made one called the UniRiser which was sold EVERYWHERE, but it only raised the iMac about 4" or so and didn't allow for any sort of mobility.

On a related note, I designed something years ago - during the height of the whole "colored iMac DV" era - that was a tilt/swivel stand with an integrated 4-port USB hub and 100MB Zip Drive.

It was pretty damn righteous if I say so myself!

• Reply 2 of 6
    Thanks, spcates, forr the info. I'm incredibly jealous of your iMac G4. Maybe someday.

I'll get my iMac G3 Indigo in the mail sometime in the next few weeks, then I'll see for sure if i need some sort of stand for it.

Thanks for the advice, very interesting!
  • Reply 3 of 6
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Hey, I found a pic online of the one I had. It's made by Swann.

I did a Google for "iMac tilt and swivel" and a bunch of these photos came up. However, when you go to a page to learn about them, they all seem out of date or no longer carrying any content.

But above is EXACTLY what I bought at Fry's, years ago. It looks more gray/smoky in the photo, but it's actually clear plastic with a very slight "frosting" to it.

It has little indentations in it in four places that correspond to the little nub "feet" on the bottom of the iMac DV (this device also supported the original tray-loading iMacs) and the iMac sat snugly on top of this riser. I recall it had a bit of a stiff action to it (two hands grasping each side of the iMac to tilt or rotate it), so don't expect G4 iMac-like "one hand ease and smoothness", but it would stay in place and allowed a sweeping 180-degree side-to-side motion and a good 4-5" of up-and-down tilt. In addition, of course, to raising the entire iMac several inches off the table, putting it more in comfortable eye-sight level.

I thought it was great, but who knows if they can even be found anymore.

Also, a company called Cozo had a nifty one but it cost over $50 ( ) and it basically copied the three-legged design of Apple's CRT Studio Displays (except the Cozo stand had four legs) and provided the same sort of tilt and swivel. Basically, when you put your iMac on top of it, your iMac suddenly looked like these old Apple 17" and 21" Studio Displays with the three plastic legs.

Here's a pic of the Cozo stand.

Cozo also sold fruit-colored matching speakers for iMacs and sleeves for the colored iBooks, but they appear to no longer be in business.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Thanks again for the info. I found the same stand you had on eBay. Check it out here .

$7.77 sounds cheap, but the guy is charging $11.99 to ship, and thats in canada. so who knows, sound's pretty steep just for a box of plastic.

Then there's this guy whose selling his for like $46 here . Thats just too expensive for me.

Interesting pics, I'll have to wait till i actually get my iMac.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    russsrusss Posts: 115member
    imzadione,

You definitely want to take a look at this: We Love Macs

And thanks pscates for that picture of the Cozo stand. I used to have one, but I couldn't remember who made it. My iMac really looked great sitting near the matching B&W monitor of my G3.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Thanks, Russ! Looks good!