Image Capture Sharing, even better than iTunes sharing. AMAZING!

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Hey i was just playing with my digi-cam, i have it set-up to fire up iphoto when camera is connected, but today i was playing around with Image Capture and found this:

Now, i'm sure it was discussed before, but just in case it wasn't ... check this out.

Connect your digital camera (in my case Sony's F717)

Launch image Capture, go to Preferences..

There are settings for sharing devices!, enable sharing and web sharing

On another mac open up image capture, go to Devices menu, and Look for devices:

It brings up you devices shared on another mac (Isn't Rendezvous great)

Select it, now you have all the options of Image Capture available on that 'remote' camera, you ccan import images/movies etc..

Now that's cool, but hey, how about that web sharing box in prefs?

When you turn sharing on, you'll see URL, you can use to acces this device on the web, it gets even better.

Make sure you have rendezvous bookmarks enabled in safari (either in bookmarks bar, or in bookmarks menu) on a mac you'll be using to access your camera over web:

Now in Safari you should see something like this:

It will open up a pretty interesting web page, look:

So you can browse and view images, download, delete view info on them, and many other things.

And to top it off you have an option of viewing LIVE picture from your digital camera, you can even tell it to take pictures... It doesn't get better than this !

Looks like control function does not work with my camera, but it may work for you.

Hey if you want to check it out, go to my computer to give it a try. It will be up for some time, but not for too long, as i don't have static IP.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    Wow. That's dope!

Nice post!
  • Reply 2 of 12
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Does that using it to have a live video feed and making it take a pic work with most cameras? I'll try that with my Coolpix 3500 when it gets back from being fixed. Excellent post.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    i don't know, it must work with something

maybe it works with DV cams? (I don't have one, so i can't test it)

Oh and one more thing, if you switch that view to list view, it will display all the camera settings used to take particular image. like aperture, ISO, etc...
  • Reply 4 of 12
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Ain't this stuff just endlessly and supremely bitchin'?
  • Reply 5 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

Ain't this stuff just endlessly and supremely bitchin'?

scates, where's your rant on how Apple doesn't hype this stuff enough? I mean, if even we are shocked by how good a feature such as this is and we don't know a whole lot about it, how are other, non-geeks, supposed to know about it?

I haven't tried it yet myself, but it does seem supremely cool.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Boy, isn't that just cool and weird? I just set it up for my Minolta A1 just to tinker. The web page it makes is strange -- a window inside a window, with the old-style tabs no less. It just reflects the normal image capture window but remotely (and in metal). I don't know how useful this is for anyone here, but it does make me sort of wish I could find a use for it.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    Yep, it seems really cool.

I had read about this a week ago maybe, there was an article on MacDevCenter about it (I think piwozniak covered everything already):

http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/ma...us_images.html
  • Reply 8 of 12
    Ah, the sound of bubble bursting..

• Reply 9 of 12
    my roomie uses my camera all the time, and getting her images from my computer to hers was always a pain, but this kicks ass! now if only the iphoto library could be shared the same way
  • Reply 10 of 12
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    Yeah, it'd be nice to be able to share your iPhoto library like you can share you iTunes music via Rendevous.

Looks like this works only on USB.

My old Canon S10 works fine, but it doesn't work with my iSight.

There are other ways to use the iSight in a similar way (EvoCam), but it would be cool if Image Capture accessed it too.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by pensieve scates, where's your rant on how Apple doesn't hype this stuff enough?

I observe a non-rant period on weekends. It cleanses the soul

Besides, why state the obvious? We know Apple apparently has some deep-seated aversion to touting their stuff in any sort of useful, meaningful way. If they haven't done it by now (with OS X Panther, the G5, music store, the kick-ass PowerBooks, iPod, G4 iBooks, the iApps, gorgeous iMacs, affordable eMacs, Ethernet and FireWire on every model, AirPort Extreme, lower prices, .Mac, cool software, the approaching holidays, etc.), it probably isn't going to happen. I don't know what they're waiting on. I'd say "quad-processor G7 iPod". But hell, they probably wouldn't say much about that one either...preferring instead to let all of us spaz out over it and let the rest of the world stumble upon it accidentally, but ultimately ignore it because they're not quite sure what it's all about and what makes it special or unique. Pretty much what they do with every other one of their products, right?

Goons.

\

Don't believe me? Then ask your PC-using co-workers, friends, roommates, classmates, neighbors, etc. to tell you ANYTHING about Apple that's even halfway accurate or intelligent, or based in any sort of reality.

Yeah, that's what I thought...
  • Reply 12 of 12
    Okay, I guess that was a mini-rant. Sue me.