Will Apple put a G5 in the MDD enclosure?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
...For the low-end pro entry? G4 at 1.25 can't be forever...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    programmerprogrammer Posts: 3,458member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DHagan4755

...For the low-end pro entry? G4 at 1.25 can't be forever...

I think they'll just kill the old case. It will disappear when nobody wants to buy it anymore. Hopefully they replace it with a mini-tower or cube-like thing, but that is just speculation.
  • Reply 2 of 21
    m.o.s.tm.o.s.t Posts: 255member
    Its one of the last Towers that can boot to OS 9 tho

I think we will see the G4 tower stay for some time

Like how you see P3 and P4 systems

But they need to lower the price of the current G4 1.25GHz tower. It should be under 1,000$. 1,300$ is to much. A bump to 512MB in DRR is also recomened
  • Reply 3 of 21
    They should lower the price to under 500 bucks for the G4 tower...single processor...40 gig drive, 128 ram etc..and sell them at Wal-Mart.

But..that is of course if they want market share... might be too late for that though..so they will probably just stay high end with the pricey stuff.
  • Reply 4 of 21
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    There is no way that Apple would put a new chip in an old case.

What are you guys smokin'?
  • Reply 5 of 21
    jccbinjccbin Posts: 476member
    Erm,

The low end is eMac and iBook. They both have G4s now, although neither will boot into 9. The old tower is not long for this world (months, perhaps).
  • Reply 6 of 21
    mac+mac+ Posts: 580member
    no - the G5's required a total case redesign, why would they then plonk a G5 in the old MDD case?
  • Reply 7 of 21
    mac+mac+ Posts: 580member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Programmer

I think they'll just kill the old case. It will disappear when nobody wants to buy it anymore. Hopefully they replace it with a mini-tower or cube-like thing, but that is just speculation.

agreed - I'd like to see a mini-tower or cube design too, but I have no idea whether this will actually ever happen. \
  • Reply 8 of 21
    tak1108tak1108 Posts: 222member
    If Apple got into a deal with Wal-Mart they would go out of business.

http://www.fastcompany.com/magazine/77/walmart.html
  • Reply 9 of 21
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    I don't think that machine can be made very cheaply. My guess is that they are just clearing old inventory.

And no, I don't think they will bother putting a G5 in that case. Nor will they produce a G5 eMac (on the reasoning that the behemoth has more room inside than the LCD iMac).
  • Reply 10 of 21
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    I don't think that Apple will put a G5 in the MDD enclosure. The box of the G5 tower was specially developped for it, and the alu line is the signature of the Apple"s professional line.
  • Reply 11 of 21
    jubelumjubelum Posts: 4,490member
    I agree with Cake. I can't imagine why AAPL would put a smokin chip in that Jet Engine known as a G4. It was a nice idea, a noble effort, but I personally can't WAIT to get rid of mine. I'll be first in line when I can get the Rev B G5... The G4 is just too loud... and adding the G5 chip to a bad box will not make it a good box.

The only decent G4 I have seen was a liquid-cooled one a former employee of mine had. (Only SLIGHTY voided his warranty) My G4 reminds me of my RC helicopter. The neighbors hate it.

The G4 served it purpose, but now reminds most of us of a time Apple (and we) would rather forget (Motorola Hell)

The G5 case is far superior, and I sincerely hope that Apple will soon bury the Pratt & Whitney G4 case with the eMac, except for edu users. The dual-boot is all that keeps it alive right now. \
  • Reply 12 of 21
    the G4, MDD (mirrored drive door), case enclosure was probably one of the best case designs for expansion. It was the same size as the G3 B/W but had easily upgradeable slots for sticking extra hard drives. The door on the side came down to show the mother board. RAM was then accessible very well, as well as the processor.

Now the G5, while a very awesome looking case, as I have one, The door's only purpose is to cover the inside of the box. Even then there's a plastic piece that does that. The motherboard is back on the opposite side again, much like the beige G3's and 9600's, buried from upgrades under neath two one or two fans. The mother board is no longer easily accessed. Only two Hard drives and One DVD/CD-R-RW-ROM has the maximum for internal storage. Everything else is external.

Benefits of the G5? It's the quietist son bit'ch around. I've never heard of a quieter case than the G5 case. It is well designed to cool, far better than the MDD case. But they need to work on expansion.

-walloo.

sounds like a good story idea..
  • Reply 13 of 21
    I agree that apple needs to keep a G4 or smaller-sized tower in it's lineup. But I doubt that they will put a G5 in the MDD case. Maybe those "return of the cube" rumors will come true.
  • Reply 14 of 21
    I have an older G4 (from back in the pre-Gigabit-oh-Jeez-we're-stuck-at 500-MHz-forever days) and love the case. I think the latest iteration of the G4 case is butt ugly.

The quicker they bury it, the better, in my opinion.
  • Reply 15 of 21
    bigcbigc Posts: 1,224member
    Quote:

Originally posted by willywalloo

the G4, MDD (mirrored drive door), case enclosure was probably one of the best case designs for expansion. It was the same size as the G3 B/W but had easily upgradeable slots for sticking extra hard drives. The door on the side came down to show the mother board. RAM was then accessible very well, as well as the processor.

Now the G5, while a very awesome looking case, as I have one, The door's only purpose is to cover the inside of the box. Even then there's a plastic piece that does that. The motherboard is back on the opposite side again, much like the beige G3's and 9600's, buried from upgrades under neath two one or two fans. The mother board is no longer easily accessed. Only two Hard drives and One DVD/CD-R-RW-ROM has the maximum for internal storage. Everything else is external.

Benefits of the G5? It's the quietist son bit'ch around. I've never heard of a quieter case than the G5 case. It is well designed to cool, far better than the MDD case. But they need to work on expansion.

-walloo.

sounds like a good story idea..

The G5 case ain't bad except for HD expansion and pushing new ram in, it's a hard push....
  • Reply 16 of 21
    Apple may not be able (or willing) to do it, but from what the other thread/news item on News Comments seems to infer, PowerLogix may be the one to do it -- and through something on the order of a complete motherboard overhaul, no less.

Any takers?
  • Reply 17 of 21
    Did anyone think of the cooling issues that this would cause? The MDD is already loud as heck, you put a G5 in there and try to cool it, oh boy, say goodbye to being able to hear anything but the computer. This won't happen.
  • Reply 18 of 21
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    I love the MDD enclosure. My favorite case Apple's ever made, just ahead of the PowerMac 8600/9600. I've grown to like the G5s since they came out, but I still think they're not that good looking, at least compared to the G4.

However much I'd like Apple to keep updating their PowerMac G4, maybe even turning it into a consumer-level product (right now it's more of a prosumer price level), I think it's extremely unlikely. In fact, unless the Macintosh, and computing in general, changes a huge amount in the next few years, I doubt they ever will make a highly upgradable consumer-priced system. If you want under $1000, it's AIO or eBay. That's just how it is with Apple, and unfortunately, that's how it'll always be. I would consider it nothing short of a miracle for them to release an upgradable headless tower for under a grand, and it's even less likely that such a machine would be like a Cube. Anything is possible, but this is one of those things you can put on the "most likely will never happen list."

Feel free to revive this topic in a few months/years if I'm proven wrong. I doubt you'll have to, though.
  • Reply 19 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by tak1108

If Apple got into a deal with Wal-Mart they would go out of business.

http://www.fastcompany.com/magazine/77/walmart.html

We are Wal-Mart. You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile.
  • Reply 20 of 21
    krassykrassy Posts: 595member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Programmer

yeah that's just what i was thinking :-)

cool

new apple 2004:

no more crt!!!

new eMac replacement G4 15" TFT all-in-one starting at $799

new iMac replacement (G5) 17" and 20"

new all-dual PowerMacs

new cube-like or mini-tower single G5

new G5 XServe

G4 iBook

and a big ? for the G5 PowerBook - but i think it will come in 2004