Help needed with fixing Clamshell ibook

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have gotten ahold of an ibook blueberry 300mz, trying to figure out a solution for getting it fixed. I have reset it with the reset button, as well as reseting the pram. The problem with it is the screen. Its lite up, yet nothing will appear on the screen. The system boots up fine, i can hear system sound when i press the keys. When i squeez the display it gets brighter and dimmer. I already tried fiddling with the brightness and contrast. The screen just gets darker and brighter. Ghosted screen.

Any idea would be helpfull, as the ibook will be donated to a couple of young kids in the Philippines.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    Have you tried booting it with an external display? That way you can narrow it down to whether it's an issue between the computer and the display or something wrong with the video card.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Unfortunately that old iBook doesn't have video out capabilities, which makes it kind of hard to test if it's a problem with the screen/cable or a problem with the video system or software. A good start is to try booting from a CD - if there's a problem with the OS installation, reformatting and reinstalling the system should fix it and at least show you the problem. However, if it won't work even when you try booting from a CD, then it might have some major problems that may or may not be worth fixing (depends on the cost, of course, but anything over $150 probably won't be worth it).
  • Reply 3 of 4
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    OT, but isn't that iBook known as Indigo or did they really make a blueberry iBook?
  • Reply 4 of 4
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    The 300 MHz came in Blueberry or Tangerine. The only Indigo model was the 366 MHz Firewire one, which had a larger hard drive, a Firewire port, video out, and a few other improvements over the previous iBOoks.