Capturing movies to mpeg

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi everyone,

i'm quite sure that this is a hopeless question, but is there any way of getting scenes from movies on DVD into an mpeg format? I'm doing a presentation using my powerbook, and there are certain scenes in a few DVDs which i have that i'd like to include in powerpoint, as it would disrupt the meeting too much to stop powerpoint, switch the DVDs etc etc..

I appreciate any input!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    cosmocosmo Posts: 662member
    http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...threadid=33638

not mpg, but it should still work i think
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Cheers, i'll give it a shot.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,562member
    Not available yet but the next version of Snapz Pro is supposed to be able to do screen captures fast enough to capture a movie from a DVD.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    k_munick_munic Posts: 357member
    Quote:

Originally posted by UkNeedsApple

Hi everyone,

i'm quite sure that this is a hopeless question, but is there any way of getting scenes from movies on DVD into an mpeg format? I'm doing a presentation using my powerbook, and there are certain scenes in a few DVDs which i have that i'd like to include in powerpoint, as it would disrupt the meeting too much to stop powerpoint, switch the DVDs etc etc..

I appreciate any input!

well, scenes on a dvd ARE in mpeg...- you you cannot use them, 'cause they are "muxxed", which means, they are a constant streamof audio and video, mixed together?

so, what you have to do is:

capture these scenes. i'm suppose, you are working with a copy protected dvd? use a tool called OseX (no, nothing to do with sex ;-)), look at versiontracker...

this tool "rips" the dvd content on your hd. - but still in mepg2...

so, you have to demuxx it. very easy to use, but cost a little shareware fee is dvd2dv, which makes a dvd-mepg into a dv-stream, which you can use and edit in iMovie (to edit just the clisp you need).

another tool is ffmpeg , very mighty, very complicated to handle?-

sorry, no further details, ripping dvds (which is, was you are planing to do) is a very complicated process, in case you want to edit the material?-

what would be much easier is to take single frames - play your dvd with

vlc , then you can make simple screencapture as usual? ok, moving images is allways fun in a presantation, but sometimes the content is more imprtant then the effect