Q on Notebook HDs

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
The following has taken place: my new iBook G4 has had to have its drive replaced in its first week. A Hitachi something-something (there's no way I can get the model number now) was replaced by a Fujitsu MHS2040AT. The only difference between these drives that I can tell is that the former supported S.M.A.R.T., whereas the latter doesn't. Now, I called 'em up and asked them about this, and after checking, they rang me up and told me they would replace the drive again if I insisted. I told 'em no, and that it was fine by me, but I'm starting to have second thoughts. After all, it takes only one good crash to give you more gray hair than you can imagine.

What should I do?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    cj3209cj3209 Posts: 158member
    Quote:

Originally posted by der Kopf

The following has taken place: my new iBook G4 has had to have its drive replaced in its first week. A Hitachi something-something (there's no way I can get the model number now) was replaced by a Fujitsu MHS2040AT. The only difference between these drives that I can tell is that the former supported S.M.A.R.T., whereas the latter doesn't. Now, I called 'em up and asked them about this, and after checking, they rang me up and told me they would replace the drive again if I insisted. I told 'em no, and that it was fine by me, but I'm starting to have second thoughts. After all, it takes only one good crash to give you more gray hair than you can imagine.

What should I do?

I never saw S.M.A.R.T. as being so great. ALL hard drives will fail eventually. I say, stick with your current drive and if it fails under warranty, just replace it again.

cheers,

• Reply 2 of 3
    cosmocosmo Posts: 662member
    What is S.M.A.R.T.?
  • Reply 3 of 3
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    S.M.A.R.T. is a standard set of diagnostic tools that can be built into a hard drive that allows it to alert whatever machine it's attached to that it's overheating or about to fail or otherwise afflicted somehow. Obviously, the machine the drive is attached to has to support SMART as well. I would be (pleasantly) surprised if the iBook did; this is primarily a server technology. Xserve supports SMART drives.