Install AppleWorks from 10.1 CD

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have a coworker who traded his used 1.4GHz P4 for a used 700MHz iMac. He did a clean install of Panther over the weekend and now wants to install AppleWorks that was part of the original installation on his 10.1.x system software CDs? Possible?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    It's not on the 10.1 CDs, but it should be on the restore CDs that came with the computer. There is a TIL on installing apps from the restore CDs, without actually restoring the computer. I'll try to find it.

EDIT: Here it is.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    It should be. However, the original OS X install CD most likely doesn't have AppleWorks on it. You're looking for a "software restore" CD. Software Restore will reinstall all the bundled software that came with the machine, including AppleWorks. That'll work - but if your friend is willing to try a bit of tinkering, he should be able to get only AppleWorks without having to go through the entire restore procedure. Here's how:

1. Go to www.macupdate.com and download "TinkerTool."

2. Install the application and tell it to show hidden and system files.

3. Insert the software restore CD, and look for the hidden folder (semi-transparent if you have TinkerTool showing hidden files) called ".images". Inside this is all the disk images of the various software installed by the software restore CD. If you don't see AppleWorks, you might have to try another software restore CD if you have more than one.

4. Mount the disk image and drag the contents to the hard drive. It should be done now.

5. Download the 6.2.7 upgrade from www.apple.com/appleworks.

EDIT: Heh, gordy beat me to it by a lot, and his is much easier.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    fahlmanfahlman Posts: 740member
    Thank you. I'll give it a try if I can get a chance to stop by his office tomorrow. I appreciate the help.