iTunes doesn't support iBook G4 combo drive?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
What is this now? iTunes says it cannot find a supported drive. Toast doesn't have an issue with it whatsoever, and Disk Utility burns fine. Can somebody verify this? (my combo drive is a Matshita CD-RW CW-8123).

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    No matter. Simply restarting iTunes fixed things. Carry on.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    How is the book? I´m getting one in a few days as replacement for my one year old iBook g3 800.

And did you buy it from Apple?
  • Reply 3 of 8
    gabidgabid Posts: 477member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

How is the book? I´m getting one in a few days as replacement for my one year old iBook g3 800.

And did you buy it from Apple?

I can pop in with some comments on that. I got a 12" iBook G4 a few weeks ago because I needed it for some lectures I had to give. Overall a wonderful little machine.

I really do like how small it is. If it was my primary machine though, I think I would find the screen too small. Speed-wise, it feels a lot faster than the TiBook 550 I had until the summer. I haven't got an AirPort card yet, so I can't comment on reception. The only negatives I've found so far are (a) the outer plastic can scratch quite easily (though I expected this) and (b) on my machine if you press down on the left hand-rest, you'll hear a slight clicking noise since it would seem there is a small gap and the plastic moves up and down a wee little bit. I didn't notice this until after a couple weeks of use (and my girlfriend who has used the machine more than I hadn't noticed it at all). There's a thread about this on the Apple support site, as well as one on MacNN. I'd be curious to know if Apple recognises this as a problem or not.

If you have any other specific questions though, feel free to ask and I post again ASAP.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    ragexragex Posts: 126member
    As a fellow iBook G4 owner, I can say it is an awesome machine. Portable, great battery life, and Panther is great. Highly recommended.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    It's a great leap forward. The speed is better (had a iBook 600 before, a 933 now), especially since I just installed an additional 512 MB of RAM (the difference between 256 MB and 640 MB is more than noteworthy!).

However, I have written up some of my experiences already here.

I didn't buy from Apple, and I'm thinking that maybe I should have. I've done a bit of a bargain (200 euros worth), but have had some problems that maybe I wouldn't have had with a machine straight from Apple. That's what you get in life, isn't it? Nonetheless, Apple have been quite forthcoming when it comes to warranty and such, so you won't hear me complain.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    just for reference, a Matshita drive is actually made by Panasonic I love how Apple always uses name brand parts.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ichiban_jay

just for reference, a Matshita drive is actually made by Panasonic I love how Apple always uses name brand parts.

Actually, Matsushita is the parent company of Panasonic (Panasonic is their consumer brand).
  • Reply 8 of 8
    I beleive Panasonic is the name used mostly in North America. Or at least it started out that way.