iBook Volume Keys Dont Work Properly

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Im running 10.2.8 on my iBook 600.

At the moment, and for all of my memory, the volume up and down keys havent worked very well. Holding down the volume up will cause the volume to go up, but every so often it will jump back down again. Going from none to full this will happen three or four times. It doesnt really cause any big issues, its just unpolished.

Ive played with the iBooks at the Apple store, running Panther, and this doesnt happen on those machines.

Can someone running Panther on an iBook 600, who observed this issue previously please comment on its resolution?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    toweltowel Posts: 1,479member
    I never had any problems like that on my iBook 600 (currently 10.2.8 ). I usually change the volume by repeatedly pressing the key (rather than holding down) but I just tried holding it down and it went smoothly up and down. Does it happen when you're running certain programs? How's your RAM situation? (Trying to be more helpful than just saying this is an ideosyncratic problem...)

Edit: darn smilies don't play well with parentheses
  • Reply 2 of 5
    I had the same problem with my powerbook running 10.2. Panther fixed the problem nicely.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    I've had the problem, I think, but only when I kept the volume key pressed. If I pushed it in short successive intervals, there was no such problem. This was on an iBook 600.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    I wouldn't worry too much.

This happend to me sometimes after I updated to 10.2.8. I believe it will be OK on the next update. I'm still waiting for panther, so I cant say if the problem is gone.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Unfortunately, this is a know problem with Jaguar. It appears like it's been fixed in Panther.

The only solution under Jaguar is to set your repeat rate to something other than the max.

Here's a KB article on the issue.

Volume Indicator is Erratic With Key Repeat Rate At Maximum