Painful Death - Snap!

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
About an hour ago, I heard a snap.

I cought it!

That little bugger that keeps running around at night and eating my bread.

I jumped out of my chair and ran to the trap in the kitchen.

Apon arrival my drunken sense of accomplishment turned into pitty.

The mouse, who was only trying to eat, had taken the trap's spring loaded clamp in the leg near its sholder.

His arm was a twisted mess and the pain caused him to squeek at a constant pase.

Running around the kitchen floor with the three legs not effected by my sly and devious death board.

Then a final squeek fallowed by the little thing bashing his head up across the wall was the last the creature had to give.

His body lay without movement.

He was dead.

Then after cleaning up the mess, I pondered:

Would I have set the trap knowing the pain that was to follow? Would I have lived with the little pest knowing the trap would not strike his neck giving him a quick death?

This was the first time I watched something die. I have seen dead things, roadkill comes to mind, but I have never seen something in the act of dieing before.

And here I thought the gore on TV had me set.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 37
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    Quote:

Then a final squeek followed by the little thing bashing his head up across the wall was the last the creature had to give.

how does it die from running to a board?

ahh, unless you're descriping it's final, painful, terror filled last moments as its life slips away, draining from its crushed shoulder. then it makes sense.
  • Reply 2 of 37
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    get a cat.

... and then teach him to eat whatever he catches without showing it to you.
  • Reply 3 of 37
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

how does it die from running to a board?

ahh, unless you're descriping it's final, painful, terror filled last moments as its life slips away, draining from its crushed shoulder. then it makes sense.

Yah I was going for that whole descriptive thing...
  • Reply 4 of 37
    Quote:

Originally posted by Giaguara

get a cat.

allergic
  • Reply 5 of 37
    I've seen a similar sight but not with the standard neck-snapper trap. It was a glue trap. My roommate wanted to use them because he thought they were more humane. Anyway, mouse hit glue, mouse panicked, mouse partially tore himself off the trap, mouse dragged bloodied body across kitchen floor before dying in front of the stove. Since then I've decided that mice aren't that bad. They're no more disease-ridden then people you live or work with. So let the poor buggers be.

Edit: They are = they're NOT Their. Dumbass.
  • Reply 6 of 37
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    I had the plastic spring-traps my first year at UCB. I caught three mice, and each was killed instantaneously. Maybe you set the trap up incorrectly.
  • Reply 7 of 37
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

I had the plastic spring-traps my first year at UCB. I caught three mice, and each was killed instantaneously. Maybe you set the trap up incorrectly.

UCB sounds like a lovely place.
  • Reply 8 of 37
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    I used to put steel wool in the cracks around radiators and floor boards because the buggers can't chew through it. They went to the neighbors.
  • Reply 9 of 37
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    Hey, a cat isn't the only way to cathc a mouse.

Try a mouse pad. ..

["sorry, bartolome' ... in my house i put a mouse trap for the mice/rats. what do you use? >>> "a mouse pad""]
  • Reply 10 of 37
    translation please?

ive caught my fair share of mice. they can get pretty bad sometimes, the fact that they are there isnt so bad as the fact that they like to crap EVERYWHERE.

i caught one once less than 5 min after i set the trap. i was about to leave and then i heard a "SNAP!" followed by a rattling noise. i opened the cupbord where i put the trap and there was a mouse, neck in the trap, flopping around.

worst one was when one of the little bastards got only 1 leg stuck in a trap and crawled off someplace to die. took a while to find him
  • Reply 11 of 37
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    I still have a dead mouse in a trap in my garage. I keep it there, easily visible, as a deterrent to the other scum sucking mice that might wander in looking for a warm place to rest.

Poison, trap, or the bottom of my boot. The filth WILL die.

Take it outside and stomp the bastard. Get some satisfaction out of it.

• Reply 12 of 37
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    And people say Canadians are a peaceful, simple folk...
  • Reply 13 of 37
    some of us are

• Reply 14 of 37
    Aw, c'mon, be truthful now... you're all just a bunch of beer-swillin', poutine eating, beaver-killin' lumberjacks waiting for us 'Merican's to get all lax thinkin' you're not a threat, and then BLAMMO, down across the border you come like the crazed horde you really are, slaughtering us in our sleep with maple syrup taps between the eyes.

• Reply 15 of 37
    It's the "build a better mousetrap" thread!

So rather than a spring loaded trap which has potential to become a cruel 'leg hold'...

Take a block of wood and place a double-sided razor blade perpendicular to the wooden base. Although you could put some cheese on one side of the blade, for maximum effect you should not use any cheese. The mouse pokes his head over the blade, looks left and right, and discovers no food. The head shaking motion of "no cheese here" allows the blade to saw through the neck... voila... quick, guaranteed.
  • Reply 16 of 37
    Quote:

Originally posted by curiousuburb

It's the "build a better mousetrap" thread!

So rather than a spring loaded trap which has potential to become a cruel 'leg hold'...

Take a block of wood and place a double-sided razor blade perpendicular to the wooden base. Although you could put some cheese on one side of the blade, for maximum effect you should not use any cheese. The mouse pokes his head over the blade, looks left and right, and discovers no food. The head shaking motion of "no cheese here" allows the blade to saw through the neck... voila... quick, guaranteed.

Ummm... ok...

How about just leaving small signs around your house asking the mice to kill eachother in the most non-messy way and have the last one alive clean up the bodies and do himself in too.
  • Reply 17 of 37
    mice should be "terminated with extreme prejudice" to paraphrase harrison ford's instructions to colonel willard in apocalypse now.

they eat your food, chew your walls and wires and to say thank-you, poop in your cupboards.

and this is what i tell my boys after i read them "the perfect mouse cookie" or "mouse goes to the movies" or after they see some movie like stuart little. (what is it with children's books and movies, exalting vermin?)

i say, "remember guys this is just a story, what do we do if we see a real mouse?"

to which they reply "we terminate them with extreme prejudice daddy"
  • Reply 18 of 37
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    you knnow, they do sell non-lethal mouse traps that just (ta-da!) trap the mouse in a little box. The mouse neters the box and a little door drops behind it. Obviously, it's still lethal if you're not around for a week to check the trap, but it's a workaround. Though I do wonder if the assumably freed mouse will just find its way back to your place again. I guess it depends on how far away you drop it off.
  • Reply 19 of 37
    Piece of pipe, one endcap, a handful of carbide, some water, and a match.

Voila! Mouse cannon! Send the little f*cker to the moon.
  • Reply 20 of 37
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

you knnow, they do sell non-lethal mouse traps that just (ta-da!) trap the mouse in a little box. The mouse neters the box and a little door drops behind it. Obviously, it's still lethal if you're not around for a week to check the trap, but it's a workaround. Though I do wonder if the assumably freed mouse will just find its way back to your place again. I guess it depends on how far away you drop it off.

One of three thing could happen.

one) Mouse gets trapped and starves to death. Would you like to know what it is like to starve to death? It is not the most painless way of passing on.

two) You find the mouse in the trap. Free it. Only to watch it make its way back into your house.

three) You find the mouse in the trap and free it far away from your house. The mouse then spends the rest of its life in another house where he just might get killed by a "snap" trap.

I don't want to give away my problems.