Report on VPC 7.0a on G5's at macosrumors

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
As reported over at macosrumors.

Quote:

Microsoft VirtualPC 7.0 (alpha version) performance on PowerMac G5 is surprisingly good! Even though we have only received a few real-world "wristwatch" benchmarks and preliminary reports from two sources who have recently come into possession of an alpha build of Virtual PC 7.0, the news so far is very good.

On a single 1.6GHz G5, performance of a broad spectrum of applications and operating systems was roughly comparable to that of a Dual 1GHz G4. On a Dual 1.8GHz model, performance was "astounding," well above and beyond that of a Dual 1.42GHz G4 system -- notably with resource-intensive multi-tasking where the G5's superior bandwidth comes into play. On any Quartz Extreme-class system (Radeon or GeForce accelerator on an AGP bus), applications were reported to take huge advantage of new VPC7 features which route some emulated PC graphics functions directly to the real graphics accelerator hardware -- notably games and professional 3D apps.

Although stability in these alpha builds leaves much to be desired according the reports, and so far neither source has been able to install current builds of Microsoft's Longhorn next-gen operating system.

I was pleased to see comment on video hardware acceleration. This is a subject that I and I'm sure many others had approached Connectix about several years ago. The Connectix boys in the macworld booth just scoffed at the idea.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Plague Bearer

I was pleased to see comment on video hardware acceleration. This is a subject that I and I'm sure many others had approached Connectix about several years ago. The Connectix boys in the macworld booth just scoffed at the idea.

There is already the other thread, where I explain why I don't understand what they are saying. Could you please tell me, what do you understand from what MOSR says on the performance of VPC 7?
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Right. Keep it in the existing discussion.