Lower slot on the 500/600 iBooks upgradable?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
i have a quick question. does anyone know if you can upgrade the 128MB chip that comes with the iBook that you can't normally access? is it soldered to the MB, or could i upgrade if i rip the machine apart.

i already put a new HD in this machine, so i had it into a few dozen pieces, but forgot to check that part out while i was at it.

of course, apple doesn't offer any useful information about this. when they say that you can't upgrade something, that just means you shouldn't, doesn't me you can't.

-alcimedes

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Sorry, it's soldered onto the motherboard.

You're stuck at a max of 640 MB of RAM. (128 + 512)

• Reply 2 of 11
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by murbot:

<strong>

You're stuck at a max of 640 MB of RAM. (128 + 512)

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Well that's until 1Gb chips comes out.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    How much would that mother cost? The 512 is still at $230. I shudder to think of the bucks you'd hafta shell out for a GIG.

Mac Guru
  • Reply 4 of 11
    [quote]Originally posted by Mac Guru:

<strong>How much would that mother cost? The 512 is still at $230. I shudder to think of the bucks you'd hafta shell out for a GIG.

Mac Guru</strong><hr></blockquote>

I meant in the future. They'd probably cost how much the 512 does now.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    lol, i went out and bought a 512 today after reading this thread. might as well get as much as i can out of it while i'm going to be using it the most.

i was surprised to find that i could get an actual Apple brand ram chip for only a few bucks more than the generic stuff. in light of the chips that got zapped for being under spec in the past, it seemed for the extra $10-$15.

well, that's enough for me, i've just noticed that OSX is a bit laggy with 256, and was hoping that the extra ram would help.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    cosmocosmo Posts: 662member
    [quote]Originally posted by alcimedes:

<strong>well, that's enough for me, i've just noticed that OSX is a bit laggy with 256, and was hoping that the extra ram would help.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yes, X loves ram, it will use everything your can throw at it. I'm using X on my 333 imac and while i was running 256megs of ram X felt laggy, but i always assumed that it was the processor, but while ram was cheap i decided to buy more ram and see if there was much of a performance increase. I was pleasantly surprised at the performance improvement. X still isn't *fast*, but the ram did help quite a bit.

Also when 1GB chips come out, will the ibook be able to recognize them?
  • Reply 7 of 11
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    i know in the past apple has just provided firmware updates so that older machines can recognize larger chips. with the iBook being so popular, i'm sure they'll do the same for it.

-alcimedes
  • Reply 8 of 11
    [quote]Originally posted by alcimedes:

<strong>i know in the past apple has just provided firmware updates so that older machines can recognize larger chips. with the iBook being so popular, i'm sure they'll do the same for it.

-alcimedes</strong><hr></blockquote>

I hope they do because if I'm gunna have this iBook a year from now I'll want more than the 384MB I have now.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Most places are ripping you off for ram. ny friend at a comp shop only mac will sell me a256 stick for $50 canadin so for me to get 1 gig of ram it would be $200 which ant that bad. and yes its apple ram not the cheap pc stuff. so think of how much they are making on ram.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    er btw i can get a ibook 512 ship for $100. wont to sell me a i book. =p
  • Reply 11 of 11
    evil edevil ed Posts: 106member
    [quote]Originally posted by Cosmo:

<strong>Also when 1GB chips come out, will the ibook be able to recognize them?</strong><hr></blockquote>

This PowerBook G3 500 I'm typing on is running on two 512Mb chips, although Apple states it can only take two 256Mb chips.