Opinions on the Motorola MPx200 Smartphone

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I'm seriously considering buying this phone for free at Amazon.com. It's such a classy looking phone, but it would be practically useless (beyond simple phone calls) if Mac users cannot sync appointments, to do items, and contacts. It's not on the list of Missing Sync for PocketPC supported devices so it worries me. Is there a workaround for the Microsoft Smartphone operating system?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    arty50arty50 Posts: 201member
    Frankly I won't touch any of the MS based smartphones until I hear some feedback from people. BMW decided to use MS to run some of the navigation/fluff features in their cars. They had to recall them all because the system was so crash prone.

A phone is something I want to just work. It needs to be stable first and formost. And the last thing I need is for it to bluescreen and lose what I have stored on it.

That said, those who have seen the Mx200 really like it. I'd rather wait for a few more reviews.

Personally I'm getting a Moto V600. It supposed to be released on the 19th. It's quad-band (GSM 800/900/1800/1900), supports video playback, built in camera, bluetooth, and has a host of other features. With a phone like that, why bother with the Mx200.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Price.

The problem is that there are a lot of phones out there for good prices, so it's hard to really choose. I've considered the following:
    • Motorola MPx200 Smartphone (Free at Amazon)

Here is a good press release by InfoSync World about the phone and its features. Mobile Burn weighs in with an essentially good review. I'm sold as far as the features go (no bluetooth but ships with a usb connection cable). The problem is: how can Mac users sync with it?

• Sony Ericsson T616 (-$150 at Amazon. That's right: negative 150 dollars)

Crappy screen and terrible reception seems to be the two major complaints. Other than that...great price, great features, cool software! iSync compatible to boot.

• Siemens S56 (-$70 at Amazon)

iSync compatible and a great price. Although, it's an older phone and doesn't really have *wow* factor. Safest bet in the end.

Is there a solution to sync Microsoft Smartphones yet, or does anyone have suggestions as what mobile phone to purchase instead? (Yes, yes, I know- I've chosen the unholy alliance of Motorola and Microsoft)
  • Reply 3 of 6
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    What is the deal with activation? I'm guessing we can't get it for free if we already have and don't want to switch carriers.

Quote:

BMW decided to use MS to run some of the navigation/fluff features in their cars. They had to recall them all because the system was so crash prone.

They really recalled them?

Phone companies are taking MS seriously!? Don't they get it...MS makes HARDWARE now. I honestly don't see why they don't make PCs. They should buy Dell. They should make phones too, but then again they have PocketPCs. They should make those too. I don't see why MS doesn't expand in to hardware, it would make good business sense. However the products would still suck and crash. Why would you want a phone that crashes? Why would you want a phone that does anything besides call people, and maybe text them? I don't get this craze for having $800 phones. If you spill water on it or drop it, you are royally $$$$ed. There goes $800, all your contacts and appointments, plus your impressive high scores. Speaking of which iPods should have a high score list.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

What is the deal with activation? I'm guessing we can't get it for free if we already have and don't want to switch carriers.

The deal is that you must activate a new service plan with the purchase of the phone. That's no problem for me because I'm currently using the old ATT Wireless Service and all the phones I'm considering use the new ATT Next Generation service. So I need a new plan. But I assume that if you just activate a new plan and cancel your old one (at the end of the contract) you should be fine- even if staying with the same service.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ShawnJ

But I assume that if you just activate a new plan and cancel your old one (at the end of the contract) you should be fine- even if staying with the same service.

Sure. Except that you won't be able to keep your old number, even though we now have wireless number portability. Someone correct me if I'm jumping to negative conclusions.

Escher
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Shawn,

A good site for information about MS Smartphones is Modaco. They have an active forum there that will probably answer many of your questions. I believe it was originally started when Orange released the SPV, and it's expanded as more Smartphone handsets become available. I'd recommend having a look at the forums there, and read some of the threads, as it will help you get a handle on any issues there may be. There are many users there who love their phones, and do some quite cool things with them. Also, there are members from the US, so the chances are someone will have asked similar questions to the ones you have .

If you want to sync with your Mac, don't get one! IIRC, someone was developing some sync software, but I don't know if it ever got released, or if it was released, if it worked.

Personally, I wouldn't recommend an MS based Smartphone. The list of features is quite impressive, considering it's a phone, but the implementation leaves a lot to be desired . I had the original Orange SPV, and just couldn't get on with it . I had it for a few months, but a number of issues (some small, some major) made me switch back to Nokia.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Dave.