Long forgotten topics?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
OK, just one topic I want to resurrect given the rumours of 970FX and 980 by 2005.

Cast your mind back to July/August and rumours of a skunkworks project called Dark Star.

I know MWSF is a consumer show and I really expect a 3rd Generation iMac (3GiM) to be the star of the show - but I can't help but feel that - given the success of the Virginia Tech project - Dark Star or something like it will become a reality before long.

Anyone else agree?

Or are there any other rumours from the year that deserve a quick airing?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    shawkshawk Posts: 116member
    Based on comments from "knowledgeable" sources at SIGGRAPH, some form of system for render farms and scientific computation will be available in 2004.

A modular blade system with several chassis sizes might be a good bet. A 2 or 4 or 8 CPU blade with chassis sizes up to 32 blades would be a good start for render farms, fluid flow computation engines or financial trading systems. It isn't much of a stretch to assume that support for systems on the order of 128 CPUs may become economically feasible.

I believe that 10.3.x will support 8 CPUs. I am not sure if this version has been released or if 10.3.x has been extended beyond 8 CPUs at this time. A little research into NeXT Step's Zilla might be instructive. For example, the NSA used hundreds - if not thousands - of NeXT systems to generate cryptography codes.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    smirclesmircle Posts: 1,035member
    Quote:

Originally posted by shawk

sizes up to 32 blades would be a good start for render farms, fluid flow computation engines or financial trading systems. It isn't much of a stretch to assume that support for

Forget it. This is not Apples core market and this will likely stay this way for some time.