Free speech and the Fword

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Just read in the Washingtonpost that appreantly some senators and congressmen are up in arms about saying things like Sh*t and F*ck on TV, I think it's friggin ridiculus to spend time, and money by having the FCC to enforce bans and fines to the network that airs it.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...2003Dec12.html

Comments

• Reply 1 of 54
    Why shouldn't we be worried about this? Today's media is unhinged! What's the harm with a list of things you can't say on TV, a list that is only eight words long. Keep in mind the list of things you can say.
  • Reply 2 of 54
    brbr Posts: 8,395member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Francisco_G

Why shouldn't we be worried about this? Today's media is unhinged! What's the harm with a list of things you can't say on TV, a list that is only eight words long. Keep in mind the list of things you can say.

If a proper warning is displayed, I don't give a flying fvck what they say or show on TV.
  • Reply 3 of 54
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    $$$$.
  • Reply 4 of 54
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    That is totally fucked.
  • Reply 5 of 54
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    It is ridiculous. This country is bass-akwards sometimes it amazes me. Actors can't use those eight words, but meantime there's all kinds of disturbing violence, sexual predation and infidelity, completely tasteless ads and music videos, a news media that glorifies the morbid and ignores the uplifting...

...but our beloved Congressmen and women are worried about junior hearing the F-word.

Un-fekking-believable. Kind of reminds me of those wankers who play games like Medal of Honor or UT2003... and ban swearing on their server because "little kids are in here sometimes." HUH?? WHAT?!

So it's OK for little kids to see a body explode and have parts bouncing all over the place, but it's unhealthy to see someone type the word f u c k? Retarded.
  • Reply 6 of 54
    HR 3687:

To amend section 1464 of title 18, United States Code, to provide for the punishment of certain profane broadcasts, and for other purposes.

IN THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES

December 8, 2003

Mr. OSE (for himself and Mr. SMITH of Texas) introduced the following bill; which was referred to the Committee on the Judiciary

A BILL

To amend section 1464 of title 18, United States Code, to provide for the punishment of certain profane broadcasts, and for other purposes.

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled, That section 1464 of title 18, United States Code, is amended--

(1) by inserting `(a)' before `Whoever'; and

(2) by adding at the end the following:

`(b) As used in this section, the term `profane', used with respect to language, includes the words `shit', `piss', `$$$$', `cunt', `asshole', and the phrases `cock sucker', `mother $$$$er', and `ass hole', compound use (including hyphenated compounds) of such words and phrases with each other or with other words or phrases, and other grammatical forms of such words and phrases (including verb, adjective, gerund, participle, and infinitive forms).'.

Should be a fun debate.
  • Reply 7 of 54
    and why is piss on that list? talk about stupid.

anyway, if people really have a problem with what's being said, DON'T BUY STUFF FROM THE PEOPLE WHO ADVERTISE DURING THAT SHOW.

money talks. if a company knew that my advertising during show X they'd lose a ton of sales, they wouldn't advertise. if the network can't sell advertising time because of a show, they cancel the show.
  • Reply 8 of 54
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

and why is piss on that list? talk about stupid.

anyway, if people really have a problem with what's being said, DON'T BUY STUFF FROM THE PEOPLE WHO ADVERTISE DURING THAT SHOW.

money talks. if a company knew that my advertising during show X they'd lose a ton of sales, they wouldn't advertise. if the network can't sell advertising time because of a show, they cancel the show.

Along with this I'd like to see a letter writing campaign from the people who don't mind profanity on TV. They should outnumber the idjuts 10 to 1.
  • Reply 9 of 54
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BR

If a proper warning is displayed, I don't give a flying fvck what they say or show on TV.

That's censorship regardless. Maybe de facto censorship at least.
  • Reply 10 of 54
    fvuck it

Hypocrisy is the American way. What would we do with laws that actually made sense.

Thank God for these legislatures. They have the aptitude to realize that they must diminishm the amount of cuss words kids here seeing as how the average american watches 6 hrs of TV a day while their parents work two jobs to eek out a mediocre living. These people are on the ball! \
  • Reply 11 of 54
    I say if they don't want to hear any of the eight words they shouldn't watch TV, it's just that simple. People watch too much TV anyway. They should get off their lazy butts and actually do something. TV isn't the reason that this country is in the shape it's in, it's the stupid people. I don't have a problem with anything being on TV or on the radio, even if I did watch TV I wouldn't care. It just makes it that much easier that I don't.
  • Reply 12 of 54
    [Adult Swim] on Cartoon network has recently been slipping "shit" and "shitty into their famous 'cards'

I guess it's on so late no one cares, but...*shrug* It's kind of nice to see them not caring.

\
  • Reply 13 of 54
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wrong Robot

[Adult Swim] on Cartoon network has recently been slipping "shit" and "shitty into their famous 'cards'

I guess it's on so late no one cares, but...*shrug* It's kind of nice to see them not caring.

\

There was a recent South Park episode that said 'shit' about 180 times.

Shitty shitty fag fag, shitty shitty fag fag!
  • Reply 14 of 54
    Quote:

Originally posted by Argento

Just read in the Washingtonpost that appreantly some senators and congressmen are up in arms about saying things like Sh*t and F*ck on TV...

I think the keyword here is "some". There will be "some" people who are up in arms about this issue or that issue, whatever the issue is, all the time. The problem with democracy is that sense usually prevails, but not always.

This is a popular voter issue in some respects. Remember Clinton and his V-chip? Dumb idea in many respects. But the idea of limiting content is not a bad idea because most consumers want the ability to limit content for their kids. The only question is: what should the government's role be?

The problem, here, is: Ted Turner. I cannot explain why I can get TBS and Atlanta Braves baseball (Ted Turner owns the Braves) when I want neither Ted's baseball team, nor TBS. But I have yet to see a cable plan without TBS. Feh.

Ted's reach is long. And the FCC is beholden to him. The FCC was not designed to foster free markets and competition: the FCC's purpose now is to perpetuate monopolies.

Now that the FCC has established its supremacy over the free market with regulation, it is a political issue. Liberals can argue that the people should be able to say "FUH--UCK" whenever they wish. Conservatives like me would argue that the FCC has overstepped its bounds in terms of regulations and government regulation of specific morality, and most conservatives would also argue that there are free speech issues involved.

Anyway, "some" people are the problem. I haven't seen this issue as an issue on the major networks. Only on cable networks. I don't believe the cable networks should be regulated. And if you don't want cable, you don't have to pay for it. And most cable companies also let you block out channels as a form of "parental control". The problem here is that some people with families want to enforce their will on other people with familes, and all I can say is Focus on Your Own Damn Family. As a Coloradoan who votes Republican who is very conservative. I don't want your Billy Graham family values. Thank you. To other conservatives, I say: you raise your family and I'll raise mine. I want control over content, but I want total control over it. That means letting kids watch R rated movies if I want. I do not believe in censorship. Control is not a bad thing.

I don't believe in giving control to "some" people who want to impress their values on everyone. Fortunately, I think our system of government is smart enough to figure this out. Hopefully.
  • Reply 15 of 54
    Quote:

Originally posted by Outsider

There was a recent South Park episode that said 'shit' about 180 times.

Shitty shitty fag fag, shitty shitty fag fag!

162*
  • Reply 16 of 54
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Well I for one think network TV should not be able to use words like shit and fuh-uck and so forth. We need some standards of deceny on the public airwaves. Cable is another story. Freedom of speech doesn't mean freedom of total vulargity.
  • Reply 17 of 54
    Quote:

Originally posted by SDW2001

Well I for one think network TV should not be able to use words like shit and fuh-uck and so forth. We need some standards of deceny on the public airwaves. Cable is another story. Freedom of speech doesn't mean freedom of total vulargity.

Freedom of speech doesn't mean limiting certain words either. I'm of the opinion that if you don't like it, don't watch.
  • Reply 18 of 54
    rageousrageous Posts: 2,170member
    It's not as simple as "if you don't like it don't watch" because you could be viewing something you perceive to be harmless and suddenly find out they're swearing.

There needs to be some sort of restriction as to when these things can be said on TV or if they can only be said on Cable and not network TV, because parents need to know if what they are viewing is what they deem to be acceptable ahead of time, not after the fact.

I'm not advocating the banning of these words, but there must be some guidlines put in place.
  • Reply 19 of 54
    Quote:

Originally posted by rageous

I'm not advocating the banning of these words, but there must be some guidlines put in place.

That's a concession most people would be willing to make. I'm absolutely against forcing things to pay TV though. I could make just as strong of an argument that all 'clean' shows should be on pay TV and that if you want to make sure you don't have to deal with profanity then purchase the channels you know are safe.
  • Reply 20 of 54
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ShawnJ

That's censorship regardless. Maybe de facto censorship at least.

Telling people about the content of a program is censorship? What bizarre world do you live in?