Night Time Shutdowns

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
My imac has developed a habit of shutting down at night. it is running 10.2.8 and shuts down mysteriously during the night. I looked around for an automated shutdown setting (like in OS9), but could not find one. Any ideas?

\

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Check system preferences, energy saver. My guess is that you have it on a schedule (although I don't know that it was available with 10.2). Check your energy saver preferences, thats probably where the problem is. If not, your mac may be overheating (fans shut off but processor continues to work, or HD doesn't spin down) if your Mac starts to overheat it will shut itself off. Make sure your computer is sleeping at night.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Thank you for the reply. I had looked at energy saver prior to posting. I do not see a scheduler there or anywhere else in the system preferences. I have a generation 2 imac and I do not believe it has a fan. It also seems to go to sleep at night. It has me baffled.

I will check it's temperature late tonight. Does anyone know if there is a sleep scheduler in 10.2, and if so where is it?
  • Reply 3 of 5
    No there isn't a sleep scheduler in X.2. that's odd your computer turns off at night....
  • Reply 4 of 5
    I guess computers need to sleep too...

Dave: Hal, what are you doing?

Hal: I am tired Dave, I am going to sleep.

Dave: How can you feel tired?

Hal: Shut up Dave. Goodnight.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Could there be some kind of cron thing causing this? (I'm not a UNIX-head, but I have read that UNIX runs various systrem operations in the middle of the night.)