Who is the best Bond?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Just finished watching "Die Another Day". I really liked it. I hear a lot of people complaining about Brosnan as Bond, but I believe he's done a great job with the role. But people will continue to compare all the Bonds to Connery.

My favorite Bond flick still is "On Her Majesty's Secret Service."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 32
    daverdaver Posts: 496member
    Great to see that someone else appreciates On Her Majesty's Secret Service! The poor movie never gets any respect.

On my list, it's right behind the first four Bond outings with Connery, my favourites ? Dr. No, From Russia With Love, Goldfinger and Thunderball.

Brosnan is fine. I do think he's an improvement on Moore, but it would have been nice to see what Dalton could have done with the role if he had more time.
  • Reply 2 of 32
    I voted for Connery .... probably a nostalgia thing, since he was playing the role when I saw the films in theaters.

I really think they've all done a good job though ... the Bond movies are really more about the story than the actors. I think any decent actor could make a successful Bond, at least when the movie is based on one of Ian Flemmings origional stories. (some of the later story-lines, i think, leave a bit to be desired).
  • Reply 3 of 32
    just great... I was the first person to vote for Pierce Brosnan.... common! he is a good bond!
  • Reply 4 of 32
    woody allen
  • Reply 5 of 32
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by superkarate monkeydeathcar

woody allen

I love you.
  • Reply 6 of 32
    lol, the poll should have been, after sean connery, who's the best bond.
  • Reply 7 of 32
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Does Pussy Galore count?
  • Reply 8 of 32
    Quote:

woody allen

or David Niven

from the list, still connery... but brosnan is improving.
  • Reply 9 of 32
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Well, Connery was the best. Moore was annoying. I'd give second place to Brosnan. He's not the same as Connery but his take on the role is interesting - less rough, more refined, just as awesomely cool.

I agree with alcimedes though... definitely should be "AFTER Connery, who's the best?" because I couldn't vote for Pierce Brosnan as being better than Sean Connery.
  • Reply 10 of 32
    Quote:

originally posted by Daver

but it would have been nice to see what Dalton could have done with the role if he had more time.

Yes, I do think Brosnan was a good Bond. A lot steelier than the others. Too bad.

Another point of debate would be who to replace Brosnan with when it comes time to pass the mantle. There have been a number of possibilities thrown about, the scariest being Hugh Grant. OMG, just kill the franchise if that happens. My vote would go for Hugh Jackman.
  • Reply 11 of 32
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Connery

Lazenby

Brosnan/ Dalton

Moore

Best Bond theme song (other than Goldfinger)...

GoldnenEye..... the tina turner song written by bono and the edge. (okay maybe tied with live and let die too). song-wise, there are few other great ones.

I have all the theme songs....if anyone wants to *cough*preview*cough* them: AIM=SJPSU *cough*
  • Reply 12 of 32
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Yes alcimedes is right. BESIDES Connery Brosnan is the best. He's just so modern. And cool.
  • Reply 13 of 32
    Quote:

Originally posted by curiousuburb

Quote:

woody allen

or David Niven

from the list, still connery... but brosnan is improving.

I agree about David Niven.

I wouldn't know about the later Bonds. Given that Yaphet Kotto's Mr. Big hadn't eliminated Moore's Bond thus bringing the Empire to a dignified conclusion, as it should have been; I have lost track ever since.
  • Reply 14 of 32
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    I personally liked Moore. I hated Dalton, and while Brosnan is good, the scripts have been horrible. Die Another Day was one of the worst, most pointless movies I have ever seen.
  • Reply 15 of 32
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    I voted for Dalton - which may come as a surprise consdiering I'm Scottish.

I think Bond should be a real dirty bastard - like Dirty Harry - and not some pretty boy.

On another note have they named the next Bond? There was a rumour that it might by Clive Owen?

8)

I wouldn't be surprised if they named Justin Timberlake. That guy's everywhere!
  • Reply 16 of 32
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    I voted for Sean, and next Moore, perhaps he was not the perfect James Bond, but i love his humour in the movies.
  • Reply 17 of 32
    i agree with messiah, i think timothy dalton's portrayal was probably the closest to what james bond would really be like.

i have an amazing confession, everytime i've seen a james bond movie in the theater i've fallen asleep! it's very odd, and tremendously difficult owing to all the explosions.

i did see "diamonds are forever" and stayed awake when i was about 12.......jill st. john........damn i respect that woman.
  • Reply 18 of 32
    Brosnan is the best. The movies that he is in are the best of all the Bond movies. I know that I don't appreciate the older ones as much as I should, but being only 18 years old, I didn't really get into the bond movies until a few years ago. The first ones I saw had Brosnan in them, so I'm a little biased. The Brosnan Bond movies are by far the best IMHO.
  • Reply 19 of 32
    Roger Moore.

Moonraker was my first Bond, and also my favorite. Moore's manarisms are vintage British, and he managed to play them in a very whimsical and humorous way. This humor is overtly highlighted in a "Live and Let Die" scene where the "British gentlemen" Bond arrives in Harlem.. classic.
  • Reply 20 of 32
    I agree that Timothy Dalton has gotten a bad rap over the years. He made it a point to go back to the original novels and use them to inspire his performance. With the wussy Roger Moore as Bond for so long, we forget that the Bond in the novels was gritty, tough and occasionally vicious (which one of the villain's death scenes in Licence to Kill showed very effectively).

My fave Bond films are, in no particular order:

From Russia With Love - best Connery film

On Her Majesty's Secret Service - works well *despite* Lazenby (anyone notice this film's music was used in the trailer for Pixar's next animated film, The Incredibles?)

Diamonds Are Forever - most fun, campy Bond film

The Spy Who Loved Me - works well *despite* Moore

The Living Daylights - very romantic with great locations

GoldenEye - best Brosnan Bond *by far* with really smart female characters