USA Today iMac review, good write up!

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I found this nice review in the Tech section of USA Today. Here's a link

[ 02-05-2002: Message edited by: SMacSteve ]USA Today iMac Review

[ 02-05-2002: Message edited by: SMacSteve ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    OK, the above post is supposed to have a hyper link, but it doesn't seem to want to work. I tried to fix it, sorry.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Yikes, this doesn't sound good:

[quote]When listening to some CDs, the optical SuperDrive labored unnaturally. I had intermittent problems syncing music on an iPod. Worst of all, after inserting a CD of Franz Schubert's The Trout, the iMac froze and I had to reboot. I could not then dislodge the CD, even after calling tech support.

Apple tried to explain away the problem by saying I was testing a preproduction unit. True enough. But given that people sometimes screw up when they insert CDs, Apple missed out on one small but potentially important feature standard on many other machines: an accessible pinhole for manually ejecting a stuck disk. I had to take the computer to a nearby Apple retail store, where surgery was done and the disk was successfully extricated. It was not damaged and worked normally on an ordinary CD player.

But I'm a glutton for punishment. I inserted it again. And it got stuck ? again. At least I'm one step ahead of Mr. Schubert: I completed my review. The composer's last symphony, sadly, went unfinished.<hr></blockquote>
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Well, he did say it was a pre-production model. But aside from that little stuck CD mishap he did give it very positive marks.

Thanks murbot for fixing the link. I'm using OW 4.1sp... I wonder if that had anything to do with the hyperlink not working?

[ 02-05-2002: Message edited by: SMacSteve ]</p>
  • Reply 5 of 5
    I don't know... you got a seriously long link there. Here's the one I have:

<a href="http://www.usatoday.com/life/cyber/tech/review/2002/2/06/imac-baig.htm"; target="_blank">http://www.usatoday.com/life/cyber/tech/review/2002/2/06/imac-baig.htm</a>;