Old Apple Extended Keyboard and OSX?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
There was a thread about how many felt about the current pro keyboards that Apple includes with it's computers.

While I don't totally hate my white iMac keyboard, there are better ones. I have previously pointed out that the new icekey scissors style keyboard from Macally was pretty good.

But I still have a trusty old Extended Apple Keyboard from my 8600 kicking around. Anyone know if there are any problems using it in OSX through an ADB to USB adapter?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    othelloothello Posts: 1,054member
    don't know, but i'm using one on my recently aquired Umax S900 which is running 10.2 and it works fine. so i would imagine the convertor would work
  • Reply 2 of 6
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    As long as the converter works in OS X it should work. I've used old ADB keyboards on a blue and white G3 (which has an ADB port). The main problem I find is that the converters are way too expensive - for the price you may as well buy a brand new USB keyboard. But if you find a cheap converter, it should work fine. I always liked the old keyboards myself.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    othelloothello Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno

I always liked the old keyboards myself.

they are excellent!
  • Reply 4 of 6
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno

As long as the converter works in OS X it should work. I've used old ADB keyboards on a blue and white G3 (which has an ADB port). The main problem I find is that the converters are way too expensive - for the price you may as well buy a brand new USB keyboard. But if you find a cheap converter, it should work fine. I always liked the old keyboards myself.

True. They are quite costly...maybe eBay will provide a better deal.

One other issue I can think of off the bat is the eject key and volume controls. I suppose that might require some additional software like Quickeys to add those functions.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    mmmpiemmmpie Posts: 628member
    The Belkin ADB adapter is cheap, and it works fine. No drivers are required, it turns ADB keyboards and mice into USB keyboards and mice ( dongles need not apply ). Ive used it joyfully with 10.1, 10.2, win2k and winXP.

I use it with an Apple Ergonomic keyboard. The two parts plug into the two adb ports on the adapter. I guess the OS sees them as two seperate keyboards, but they work perfectly. The only negative is that it only has a left side control key.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Quote:

Originally posted by satchmo

True. They are quite costly...maybe eBay will provide a better deal.

One other issue I can think of off the bat is the eject key and volume controls. I suppose that might require some additional software like Quickeys to add those functions.

Not sure about volume controls, you might be able to use F13-F15 for those (or you might just have to use the slider in the menu bar), but I know the F12 key serves as the Eject key when no Eject key is present.

I'm currently using a MS Natural Keyboard with a PS/2 to USB adapter, and it doesn't have an eject key so I just use F12. It does have volume controls, as well as a bunch of other multimedia buttons, but the only ones that work are the volume controls and the power button.