Alt G5 Box

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
found this on a uk website, showing an alternative G5 box (without handles!)

maybe I am a few discussions behind, but did this slip through the net? or is it just a mock-up?

http://www.analogic.co.uk/index.html...tml&lang=en-gb

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    I saved a copy of that picture for when they pull it from their site.

That is a really bare-bones cabinet - no grille at all; two optical slots.

You may have spotted something here!
  • Reply 2 of 21
    only ships with 10.2? I say this is an old mock-up before the G5's were ever released.
  • Reply 3 of 21
    krassykrassy Posts: 595member
    Quote:

Originally posted by titus andronicus

found this on a uk website, showing an alternative G5 box (without handles!)

maybe I am a few discussions behind, but did this slip through the net? or is it just a mock-up?

http://www.analogic.co.uk/index.html...tml&lang=en-gb

it's an old mockup
  • Reply 4 of 21
    I like the look of that. G5 Cyclops.

However, I don't see that anytime soon considering all the hoopla about the cheesegrater cooling system!

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 5 of 21
    It's an OLD mockup... I think it came out in the months after the Ti PowerBook, when people were trying to figure out what the form change was going to mean for towers.
  • Reply 6 of 21
    well that's settled that, I'm right upto date with the latest developments...
  • Reply 7 of 21
    Doesn't appear to be what your talking about anymore, just comes up with a bunch of

these pictures. Maybe things have been changed recently.
  • Reply 8 of 21
    I really like the design of that mockup...
  • Reply 9 of 21
    mac+mac+ Posts: 580member
    Quote:

Originally posted by cubist

I saved a copy of that picture for when they pull it from their site.

That is a really bare-bones cabinet - no grille at all; two optical slots.

You may have spotted something here!

Pictures have changed - could you please post an image cubist? TIA.
  • Reply 10 of 21
    They need to combine the MDD G4's ability to store a ton of drives, smartly with the G5's ability to be very quiet with large fans that control the 4 different thermal zones with in....

-WALLOO.
  • Reply 11 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by willywalloo

They need to combine the MDD G4's ability to store a ton of drives, smartly with the G5's ability to be very quiet with large fans that control the 4 different thermal zones with in....

-WALLOO.

Wait for the new revisions. There has been rumors flying around that since the new processors are smaller and create less heat, there will be less of an emphasis on cooling, so they will be able to get that second optical drive in there as well as another two hard drives.
  • Reply 12 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by DMBand0026

Wait for the new revisions. There has been rumors flying around that since the new processors are smaller and create less heat, there will be less of an emphasis on cooling, so they will be able to get that second optical drive in there as well as another two hard drives.

Hopefully. Its kind of a joke to have a tower of that size, with only one optical drive and room for only two harddrives..
  • Reply 13 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by T'hain Esh Kelch

Hopefully. Its kind of a joke to have a tower of that size, with only one optical drive and room for only two harddrives..

This IS TRUE, luckily there are ext. FireWire to ATA cases on eBay for about 30-40 $. It would be cool, for those of us with only one processor, if there could be made an extra bracket to hold extra internal drives. As we don't have that second heat sink.

-walloo.
  • Reply 14 of 21
    What a pain... I can't figure out how to make an URL for just the picture. But here's the old markup.

URL
  • Reply 15 of 21
  • Reply 16 of 21
    Ew. Looks like an old toaster.
  • Reply 17 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by T'hain Esh Kelch

Oh, don't worry about extra drives...

http://www.wiebetech.com/mediaphoto.html

WICHITA, KS -- Jan. 6, 2004 -- WiebeTech announces G5Jam, which gives users the ability to increase internal storage in a G5 computer to a total of four drives.

G5Jam is easily RAIDed using the OS X soft raid utility. The resulting performance exceeds 200MB/sec and is suitable for support of HD 1080i 10 bit uncompressed Final Cut Pro editing.

WiebeTech is making G5Jam available in initial capacities of 1 Terabyte (using four 250GB drives) or 640 Gigabytes (using four 160GB drives.)

Included accessories are a new cooling baffle plate, constructed from mirror aluminum, four drives, a Serial ATA host card (one PCI slot required) and appropriate cables.
  • Reply 18 of 21
    Looking at the enormous size of the Tower, there is clearly room for a mini-tower in the Mac house of the Apple Orchard.

The mini-Power-Tower-Cube would get my vote.

£699-£999 inc VAT.

Upgradable graphics. 1.6-2gig single G5s. Leave the 'big' towers with single and duals and more expandability.

Easy. Better than the Lard and Lamp Mac AIOs...

'Ew'. I hate that word. Having heard it spEW itself out of endless Buffy espisodes where characters feign revulsion...I'm kinda hoping this Amercianism gets deleted like combat trousers or shell suits...

'Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww...'

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 19 of 21
    I dunno. iLemmon Bon BOn for presidendenteee.

He's right about the mini-tower fing.

Hell, Mazcworld is only a 6 days awayh.

Go apple! (A)

Lemon BOn Bon

WHY!>!? WHY did tghEY have to killKILL the CUBE? WHY?@W? WHa-hAHHahah....? GaweeWWWWWWWWWWWd....DAGAWD (Gawd...)

Naked, whipping back in cold snowy mountain top..l.penace serving...
  • Reply 20 of 21
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    What the $#%@ are you even talking about, Lemon?

Kids, don't drink and post...ewwwww!