Apple takes on Tivo. (Another take on an old idea)

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I know we've been over this idea before. We've also talked about the possibilities of an Apple movie store. I don't think anyone has put two and two together and mentioned them in the same post. They would be a perfect fit, and fit perfectly with Apple's new strategy. When Schiller mentioned recently that Apple had found the recipe for success, I think he was talking about their way of tying device, software and internet services together in a way no one else can. Steve also made a statement about preferring a separate device to using a computer to record West Wing. Take the Tivo idea and, just like the iPod, add the stuff only Apple can offer and transform the market. Buy and download movies without the need for a computer. Those movies may be burned on to a Mpeg4 DVD but will only play on your player or authorized computer. Want to take a movie to a friend's house? Transfer it to you iPod and plug the iPod into a TV dock. Tie in the ability to program recording schedules from your Mac. Any other ideas?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    I'd just be happy if i could easily use my portable as a VCR. It has a hard drive and a strong processor and its portable. I'd like to record on the portable for playback on either the portable or back to the TV.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    homhom Posts: 1,098member
    Quote:

Originally posted by murk

I know we've been over this idea before. We've also talked about the possibilities of an Apple movie store. I don't think anyone has put two and two together and mentioned them in the same post. They would be a perfect fit, and fit perfectly with Apple's new strategy. When Schiller mentioned recently that Apple had found the recipe for success, I think he was talking about their way of tying device, software and internet services together in a way no one else can. Steve also made a statement about preferring a separate device to using a computer to record West Wing. Take the Tivo idea and, just like the iPod, add the stuff only Apple can offer and transform the market. Buy and download movies without the need for a computer. Those movies may be burned on to a Mpeg4 DVD but will only play on your player or authorized computer. Want to take a movie to a friend's house? Transfer it to you iPod and plug the iPod into a TV dock. Tie in the ability to program recording schedules from your Mac. Any other ideas?

How many times does Steve Jobs have to say NO MOVIE STORE before people start listening? Read that interview, look at the reasons that Steve thinks that video is not the next big thing, at least not until hard drives get massive and internet connections get faster.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Quote:

Originally posted by Carson O'Genic

I'd just be happy if i could easily use my portable as a VCR. It has a hard drive and a strong processor and its portable. I'd like to record on the portable for playback on either the portable or back to the TV.

You can: ForMac electronics. Get something like this, there are several brands out there. Easy to use, and will allow you to use a computer as a DVR device.