internal CDRW drive purchase

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
My sister wants to upgrade her computer slightly. She currently has my old 266MHz Beige G3 tower equipped with the standard CDROM drive. We are going to change out this drive for a CDRW drive (cheap is good) but I would prefer the following:

1. Can boot off of it. (required as old CDROM drive must go)

2. Can burn data CDs from the Finder (OS 9.2) (could use Toast)

3. Can burn music CDs from iTunes. (not absolutely required)

This is going in place of the old CDROM drive on the IDE bus since this machine has a revision B ROM meaning that the each IDE bus can only support 1 drive instead of 2, with the hard drive on one.

Which brand would people recommend? I'd rather not have to install additional drivers or perform known hacks but no problem as long as they exist and she doesn't have to deal with any special tricks to have things work in the end.

Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Look for a Lite-On LTR-52327S. This is the drive I have, and according to many people, it's exactly the perfect drive for Macs. It costs less than $40 from NewEgg.com, and it's fully supported for disc burning, iTunes, and CD booting in both OS 9 and OS X. Actually I have one that I'm selling because I'm getting a Combo drive, if you're interested.