Is Apple goint at it again with a HANDHELD/PHONE ?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
According to this story http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2003/...16142251.shtml what do you guys think?

Wheres Harald ? Nokia instead of SE? Harald, where are you?

what do you think? ?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    Enderle's a prick. End of story.
  • Reply 2 of 25
    haraldharald Posts: 2,152member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ghstmars

According to this story http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2003/...16142251.shtml what do you guys think?

Wheres Harald ? Nokia instead of SE? Harald, where are you?

what do you think? ?

You called?

I have no knowledge of what goes in Nokia ... but I'd be surprised if it was Nokia. If this thing comes out it may not be branded entirely as an Apple phone -- Steve is on record saying that there's no way Apple would do a phone -- and from what I know about what almost happened with the iPhone, it would be a 100% un-altered existing hardware platform with a custom application / service set ... plays nice with your Mac / .Mac etc. It's EXPENSIVE to make a hardware platform.

Oh, I did recently find out about what happened to the iPhone.

It existed (exists), finished right down to the startup animation. Somewhere there's a box of prototypes. It was to have been launched in the US, not Yoorp, with T-Mobile as a partner. T-Mobile got cold feet and wriggled out of a signed contract ... the project got stiffed.

Here lies the problem: you can't launch a mobile anything without buy-in / partnership from an operator. Operators tend to be run worse then Motorola (you think I lie?), and increasingly favour white-labeled 3rd party hardware ... they like their brand. It's a corporate headache worse then the iTMS getting buy-in from enough networks to mean your volume is high enough to get a good margin.

I do know one other thing ... a different collaboration between Apple and Sony Ericsson may yet see the light of day. I have no idea what it is, but it is hardware (not software) and it may not be a phone (go figure).

Final thought on my long rant: I do believe that Apple will do it one day. This company is no longer a computer company ... I said that on these boards 3 years ago and got destroyed, but it's true. It makes the best personal computers you can buy, but it ain't even called Apple Computer nowadays.
  • Reply 3 of 25
    Harald you bring in the light to these boards!!!

(talk about sucking up to one of the wisemen).
  • Reply 4 of 25
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Harald

Oh, I did recently find out about what happened to the iPhone.

It existed (exists), finished right down to the startup animation. Somewhere there's a box of prototypes. It was to have been launched in the US, not Yoorp, with T-Mobile as a partner. T-Mobile got cold feet and wriggled out of a signed contract ... the project got stiffed.

What was it?
  • Reply 5 of 25
    harald: "? with T-Mobile as a partner. T-Mobile got cold fee?"

harharhar!! T-Mobile as an Apple partner??! my imagination runs wild!! never ever! this company is as innovative and flexible as a neanderthal man!!

btw: has anyone recognized the innovation cycles with phones? 2 years ago, my sony t68i was state of the art (ok,almost), paid >200?, now you can get it for free, the screen is too small, less resolution, no radio, no video? (as 6600, sx1, p900 etc).

and: a mobile makes just sense with a good provider; actually over here, we do like these pda-style all-in-one wonders, emails are pushed, WAP browsing with a flat rate etc.pp.-

over here in germany, we're waiting for umts, but some companies speculate, to do nationwide wlan.........?

a new newton? would be nice, for 20th anni, a renaissance of the old products, newton 2nd gen, cube 2nd gen, pippin 2dn gen - no, just kiddin
  • Reply 6 of 25
    Quote:

Originally posted by bunge

What was it?

An Ives-d Sony Ericsson T610 with an interface SE engineers described as "Aqua" but obviously couldn't have been, and out-the-box integration with .Mac services. Due out last summer, then late summer, then ... nothing.

What the hell happened to .Mac OTA sync come to mention it.
  • Reply 7 of 25
    Quote:

Originally posted by bunge

What was it?

Bunge.

It was a telephone.
  • Reply 8 of 25
    Quote:

Originally posted by Hassan i Sabbah

Bunge.

It was a telephone.

I've got more posts then you.
  • Reply 9 of 25
    Quote:

I've got more posts then you.

I've got more posts than you.

Than you.
  • Reply 10 of 25
    Quote:

I've got more posts than you.

Than you.

Not necessarily. It could mean "I've got more posts, then you come next."

I know it was a phone, but I just wondered what made it special. There was plenty of talk at the time but I didn't know what was real and what was crap.

I got the 610 with T-Mobile anyway so I guess I would have bought an iPhone.
  • Reply 11 of 25
    Bunge, I know. Just teasing.
  • Reply 12 of 25
    Quote:

More posts, then you.
  • Reply 13 of 25
    Quote:

I thought my suggestion was so absurd it would be obvious I was teasing too. Or two.
  • Reply 14 of 25
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Quote:

An Ives-d Sony Ericsson T610 with an interface SE engineers described as "Aqua" but obviously couldn't have been, and out-the-box integration with .Mac services. Due out last summer, then late summer, then ... nothing.

What the hell happened to .Mac OTA sync come to mention it.

I thought we shouldn't let this thread with Harald's good words go the way of the Dodo.

WRT .Mac OTA sync, I'm hoping that Think Secret will provide some new info once MWSF blows over. Nick de Plume, do you have any thoughts?

I spent two weeks in Europe over the holidays but unfortunately didn't have enought time to hunt for fun phones where I was or in duty-free at various layovers.

Escher
  • Reply 15 of 25
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    hrmm...

apple should hammer out a deal with verizon...

they currently have the best consumer satisfaction ratings...

and I have them

who said that apple's iPhone HAD to be GSM?

just so you jerks in europe can use it? humpf... CDMA all the way to 3G...

• Reply 16 of 25
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    That's not a bad point, Paul. The data service that Verizon just launched in the DC area is an order of magnitude faster than even EDGE on GSM. Being able to use your GSM phone across borders isn't everything...

Case in point. I signed up for two GSM plans from T-Mobile this summer with plans to use our phones when I visit family in Europe. I spent two weeks in France/Switzerland last summer and two weeks in Switzerland and Spain over the holidays and didn't take advantage of my GSM phone over there a single time. Might as well have gone with Verizon for the best US coverage... \

Escher
  • Reply 17 of 25
    trowatrowa Posts: 176member
    "If" Apple comes out with a phone, I think they will wait until Qualcomm comes out with the dual mode CDMA/GSM phones. That way they satisfy european, asian as well as US markets.

The dual mode chips are expected to come out mid to late this year. But who knows.
  • Reply 18 of 25
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    i HATE the cellular market... even if apple DOES come out with a dual mode phone... there is no guarantee that verizon will support it (case in point treo 600 sprint's version is CDMA, but I can't use it unless I switch...)

horseshit... if I like a phone great if I like a service great... there is no reason why I shouldn't be able to have both without having to either A run through hoops (which isn't possible at this point) or B not use the phone features of the Treo....
  • Reply 19 of 25
    messiahtoshmessiahtosh Posts: 1,754member
    Jobs probably tells his different product teams that they are the future of Apple, thus they all produce the best results possible, believing they are the reason for Apple's continued innovation and success. If everyone believes that they are the future and the corner stone of the company, then the end result is a supreme company with supreme products. Apple basically needs everything they do to be better in some way than the competitions similar product/technology and if Apple does that, they will always have new customers all while keeping old ones. Apple needs the Macs to make money, so they make them the best. Apple wants to expand their product offerings so they need the money that these Mac sales generate, everything has to be perfect pretty much...Its not a tough strategy to understand really, just tough to follow through on...but recently they have been doing it.

Best OS

Best Hardware

Best Software

More Customers.,,cycle continues.
  • Reply 20 of 25
    Eh em?^