It has arrived! 15" PB

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
And I am posting from it now. So far it is totally perfect. This thing is friggin awesome. Full impressions shortly.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 30
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    photos if you can... i have yet to see real (user) photos of a new 15er...
  • Reply 2 of 30
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Paul, check my sig!
  • Reply 3 of 30
    Cool- congrats! I'm still working with my poor iBook 500. I wouldn't mind a new powerbook, but I'm trying to hold out until for a G5!

Did you have an Tangerine iMac before? I think I remember looking through one of the "setup" threads and seeing that orange lamp that you have you your desk...
  • Reply 4 of 30
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    hehe thanks paul...

but lets not hijack SDW's thread...
  • Reply 5 of 30
    yea! good stuff....I'm still loving mine, it's perfect.
  • Reply 6 of 30
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    No imac for me.

I'm a getting a decent camera for xmas so maybe photos then. I have been playing with it for a few hours and it is AWESOME. I'm so glad I didn't wait. Panther is amazing and this thing is quite fast.

Only little thing so far is I'm not sure I like the clickpad feel. But I'm adjusting Latch and screen seem great. The screen is at least 60% brighter than my pismo. WOW. Backlighting seems perfect.

I cannot believe this thing! It makes my Pismo want to cry. Wait....time to get it some tissues.
  • Reply 7 of 30
    So a bit more critque:

Overall still awesome. I will of course nit pick now.

1. The mouse button is a little weird. I feel like the sides do not work as well as the center. I can live with that minor flaw though.

2. The fuction keys really don't light up much. Not a huge deal...but a little annoying.

I can't see anything else wrong. It is quiet, with a beautiful display. It is solid and not all that hot. Not much more so than my Pismo. The brenthaven case is a little tight for it, which concerns me. Today it off to register Applecare and do a little more tweaking. Can't wait to burn some CD's and DVD's.

I am thrilled with the peformance so far. Panther rocks and the iDisk and sharing are so much mroe useable. wow.
  • Reply 8 of 30
    mac+mac+ Posts: 580member
    Congratulations - I hope it remains in this perfect state for you SDW2001!
  • Reply 9 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by Paul

hehe thanks paul...

but lets not hijack SDW's thread...

No hijacking...you requested, I obliged.

And "yes", tacojohn.

Now back to SDW's thread...

Congrats.
  • Reply 10 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by WD4001S

1. The mouse button is a little weird. I feel like the sides do not work as well as the center. I can live with that minor flaw though.

Yeah, I don't know whether you have used the TiBook much at all, but the clicker on that seemed to work best on the sides, also it was much flimsier, and from maybe 2 months of clicking on the sides it ended up having a permanent depression from where it was clicked.

the alubook's button is much tougher feeling it's also raised slightly and requires more click effort all around, but it is a fair trade off for a clicker that won't end up falling into the computer after over-use.

The AluBook is just SOLID all around, the Tibook was fairly flimsy in many areas, the keyboard, the display, the mouse button... But the Aluminum's are so tough feeling, I never thought I'd say this, but I actually prefer my Pbook's keyboard to the apple pro keyboard, or even to any regular full sized keyboard.

and, I actually PREFER the track pad to the mouse!

(apple's trackpad at least

SDW, does your screen rock back sometimes when you set it down? I think paul had this as well, and while it's not a Problem it can be a little bit annoying \
  • Reply 11 of 30
    Drool!

Have wondered about the 15" al-book for some time now, but with all the negative stuff being written 'bout it and all the problems with spotty displays, poor alignment closed and faulty hatch I've been sitting on the fence for some time.

But at this time it seems like Apple has ironed out these errors and really have a proper sibling to the 12" and 17" PBs.

So now I really really want one, and Paul your pictures did not exactly reduce that desire for a new PowerBook

So we're only 20 days from MWSF now. What's the chance for a major upgrade to the 15" al-book. Not great I recon, maybe some minor differences like bigger hard drive, more ram?? What's the chance for a processor upgrade so soon after introduction.

I can wait, sure, but it would make a nice christmas present for myself. Or maybe I just wait for january 4 to see if there is any upgrades and buy it then - and then have them upgrading it the week after. Ahhh, this is killing me
  • Reply 12 of 30
    Oh, and congrats with your new PB SDW!
  • Reply 13 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by NETROMac

Oh, and congrats with your new PB SDW!

Thanks. I highly recommend one. And forget 17" unless you'd need that kind real estate. This display is freaking fantastic. It is SOOO bright. Battery lasted for about three hours today...power management cranked up and screen usaully dim....but I was on the net, sooo..

Best parts:

Display

Solidness

Keyboard

speed

Panther! (destroys jaguar...destroys!

No problems....
  • Reply 14 of 30
    Any dead or stuck pixels?
  • Reply 15 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by SDW2001 Best parts:

Display

Solidness

Keyboard

speed

Panther! (destroys jaguar...destroys!

No problems....

Truer words...

I don't feel like I "settled" one single bit with the 15" (as opposed to the 17"). It feels so perfect: nice and wide and enough resolution that I've got working space AND palette space. To spare.

I never had that with 1024x768...something always had to give, you know?

And Panther...what can you say? I don't know what Apple has up their sleeve for the next major revision, but I can't imagine an OS getting much more slick and fun than this!

Every once in a while I'll get a little nagging doubt/regret in my head, saying "damn, Paul...why did you drop so much on a laptop? They have iBooks, you know...".

And I promptly cure that by sitting with the PowerBook and using it for a while.

"Yeah, now I know why".

Great machines, in so many ways. Only a complete buffoon of a spec whore wouldn't admire and appreciate one.
  • Reply 16 of 30
    Seriosuly. Worth every penny. Merry Xmas to me.
  • Reply 17 of 30
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    You know, I've been wrestling with whether to get a 12" iBook G4 or a 15" PowerBook, and I'd been leaning toward the iBook. This thread is making me lean back toward the PowerBook.

My wallet hates you all.
  • Reply 18 of 30
    I also looked at it from the "I ain't gettin' anything else for a good long while, so..." standpoint.

I mean, if I were murbot and getting a new Mac every two-and-a-half weeks it would be no big deal; over the course of 3 or 4 months I'd sample a little bit of everything Apple has to offer, but...

Split the difference, amorph: get the 15" Combo Drive! Big screen, 64MB graphics, 2 accessible RAM slots, etc. and only $1999. $600 less than the SuperDrive PowerBook and $400 more than the 12" Combo.

Just a thought...
  • Reply 19 of 30
    mac+mac+ Posts: 580member
    pscates & SDW2001 - do either of you two use Konfabulator? And, if so, how is the screen space on the 15" for allowing you to have widgets displayed without encroaching over your normal workspace.

My Ti550 only has 1152*768 and, as much as I admire the Al15"PB - it would be a step-up in every possible way from this model in terms of: proc, bus speed, max RAM, type of RAM, screen res, video card, DVI out, build quality, AE, Bluetooth, combo or SD option, lit keyboard... (damn I'm getting itchy for one now ) - I still want to wait a bit longer b/c this model is serving me well presently.

Anyway (back to the point) screen real estate and konfabulator widgets?

Also, do any of you have experience with DAW (music recording) apps. How is the screen space issue there?

TIA.

[edit: knobfabulator??? ]
  • Reply 20 of 30
    I don't use any music recording apps. And I've yet to install Konfabulator on this (I had it - and loved it - on my iMac G4).

I KNEW there was something missing!