Pay-as-you-go cellular

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Does anyone use this? I don't have need for many minutes at all and I'm looking to ditch the land land (save for the DSL).

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    i havent used them in US but in europe.

there you dont have to pay for the minutes that come in.

in italy if you have a contract you pay 5 $ a month for tax - no contract is no tax. so for average private use, there the pay as you go is cheaper. wind (1 of 4 operators) gives e.g. 25 $ for 25 $ (would someone mind telling me where the fsck is the euro-key in US keyboard????? ) paid, the others may charge you 1-2 $ for a recharge. validity is like 12 mos.

in UK they are good as well. pay 5 £ (or more) and it's valid forever. make o ne call every 6 months and it's working. perfect.

so, i have / had a pay-as-you-go .. 2 for omnitel-vodafone, 2 for wid, 1 for blu, 1 for orange..
  • Reply 2 of 6
    I have heard nothing but bad things about US pay-as-you-go plans. Everyone I know that has had one has a horror story about crappy service, huge fees, no customer service, and they all get ripped off too. Go for a regular plan, pay as you go is bad news.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Well there's not a snowball's chance in hell that I'd pay anything more than $15/mth for a mobile phone. I might use like 15 minutes a week, at most.

I've been researching and it looks like a horrible train-wreck, so I guess my lack of a mobile will continue further into the 21st century.

They can call me when they pull their heads out of their asses (no pun intended).
  • Reply 4 of 6
    i had a plan had 30 mintues per month, it cost $23.00 or so. it's assnine, they should charge $8.99
  • Reply 5 of 6
    I use the pay-as-you-go and I couldn't be happier with it. I was paying 30 bucks a month previously and I had over 300 minutes (not including nights and weekends which were some ridiculous number). I never used all the minutes, not even close.

I don't like talking on the cell phone and really only use it for emergencies and those times when you just have to use it (stuck in traffic and have to let the boss know).

So when I switched to the pay-as-you-go I ended up using all of the minutes and spending half as much. I really like it, especially since its so easy to re-up (online - basically a one-click system). Plus the minutes last for 2 months, so I never lose any.

I don't think its for everyone though. I us the phone at my desk at work more than any other phone - after all, all calls are free from that line
  • Reply 6 of 6
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    I had a thread on this a while ago. You may want to look it up.