Scattered new iMac problems?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Has anybody else heard about the reports of a few new iMacs having power and maybe firmware problems? I've read about three or four on other boards and I was wondering what to make of them. So few iMacs are out that it is hard to say if it is a production problem or just a few lemons. I've also heard some theories saying the problems are a result of damage during RAM upgrades or customs checks. Hopefully it isn't anything bad. Oh well. It's fun being an early adopter.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    crusadercrusader Posts: 1,129member
    With my luck my iMac will have 7 dead pixles, a messed up apple logo, a faulty power supply, and firmware problems. Sigh.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    the only things i have noticed are:

1. for some reason my entourage X doesn't see my entourage 2001...so i had to add all my email addresses and rules and setups etc by hand...a pain, but not the end of the world

2. my mouse arrow flys across the page every once and a while...getting a new mouse soon...will see if this continues or not....i think i have heard about this problem before...so if it is still there with the new mouse i will research at apple website knowledge base

3. TechTools Pro tells me there is a problem with my volumn and my pram....i haven't had any problems and the only reason i ran TechTools Pro was because of the "randon flying mouse arrow" thing....TTP doesn't run in X...so not sure what to make of this...the computer runs, doesn't freeze or crash, and has done everything i've asked of it...so i'm ignoring TTP for the time being....i am getting Drive X, so i will run that and see if it needs to fix anything......

but so far so good.....will be adding some games this week as it is the eldest daughters birthday...giving her Black & White and CivIII and a sims add on (living large)...i expect her grades to drop quite a bit.....

haven't had any power issues....sleep seems to work in X with the G4 (sleep was only so so in 9 with my G3) and the iSub is much improved with this system...liking it so far and i am still quite a newbie to X.....g

ps...i added ram myself...didn't seem to cause a problem...though maybe it messed with my pram...perhaps i should zap the pram?

[ 02-10-2002: Message edited by: thegelding ]</p>
  • Reply 3 of 7
    [quote]Originally posted by imacSE:

<strong>Has anybody else heard about the reports of a few new iMacs having power and maybe firmware problems? </strong><hr></blockquote>

hi imac! how do i tell if i have a firmware problem?

ive been able to crash OS X in the first 24 hours of ownership so far--LOL!

btw, if anyone's keeping track, i have one dead pixel. gelding got the perfect screen...

<a href="http://homepage.mac.com/misszee73/PhotoAlbum4.html"; target="_blank">http://homepage.mac.com/misszee73/PhotoAlbum4.html</a>;

[ 02-10-2002: Message edited by: mac's girl ]

[ 02-10-2002: Message edited by: mac's girl ]

[ 02-10-2002: Message edited by: mac's girl ]</p>
  • Reply 4 of 7
    imacfpimacfp Posts: 750member
    [quote]Originally posted by mac's girl:

<strong>

hi imac! how do i tell if i have a firmware problem?

btw, if anyone's keeping track, i have one dead pixel. gelding got the perfect screen...

[ 02-10-2002: Message edited by: mac's girl ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

I'm not sure if there is a firmware problem. A few people have mentioned it as a possible problem. How did you crash OS X if I can ask? I've never even had a kernal panic. Lucky you getting yours. I hope to get mine next week.

Chris
  • Reply 5 of 7
    [quote]Originally posted by mac's girl:

<strong>

[/URL]

[ 02-10-2002: Message edited by: mac's girl ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

Congrats on the iMac.

People sometimes confuse a kernel panick(system crash) with a GUI crash. To most users a GUI hangup and a system crash seems like the same thing to them(the computer is froze so gotta restart right?). My brother runs OS X on a beige 233 G3. For the last year, he has had various infrequent problems with the GUI... such as a forever spinning disk... but he was always able to get the system working again either by force quitting things or in some cases telneting in and killing a frozen application.

A kernel panick is where the system has crashed and only a reboot will fix it. My brother has only had one of these, when he plugged in his unsupported cd-burner. I went to visit him and after a short while I was able to get a kernel panick by playing the game demo Myth 3. He doesn't let me touch his computer anymore.

... What is my point?.... I forget why I was replying to this.... oh well.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    [quote]Originally posted by imacSE:

<strong>

I'm not sure if there is a firmware problem. A few people have mentioned it as a possible problem. How did you crash OS X if I can ask? I've never even had a kernal panic. Lucky you getting yours. I hope to get mine next week.

Chris</strong><hr></blockquote>

i hope you dont mind going over to the "a new computer, what was i thinking?" thread. i just wrote a long reply to Taq about what happened in this 'crash." also, i had a problem trying to wake the imac from sleep earlier today. very odd.

hope you get a good, non-lemon imac soon!
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Got my 800mhz superdrive iMac on Friday. No dead pixels and the thing runs like a champ. If your thinking about getting one, go for it. I love it.