Firewire-based network

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
How does one set up a network (with MacOS X Server running DHCP for clients that are tethered as well as on Airport) based on firewire instead of ethernet? Total of three or four Powermacs and two Powerbooks with an older white Airport.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gambit

How does one set up a network (with MacOS X Server running DHCP for clients that are tethered as well as on Airport) based on firewire instead of ethernet? Total of three or four Powermacs and two Powerbooks with an older white Airport.

If you are doing JUST firewire then I don't think you can use airport. I'm not sure how it works with OS X Server, but I think that you would just turn both services on wouldn't you?

Ignore this if I'm way off I have never used OS X server.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    If your machines are relatively new, they would all have gigabit ethernet. That would be faster, easier and cheaper. And ethernet is made for that kind of stuff... firewire isn't. It will go straight into your Airport, too.

Firewire hubs are really expensive, but I guess gigabit ethernet ain't that cheap itself.

Personally I would go the Ethernet route, unless you really like futzing around with stuff like this.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    jubelumjubelum Posts: 4,490member
    Bauman is right... unless you love getting technical, I would stick to Cat5 ethernet for networking. I have done DSL and ATM networks for about four years, and I have never seen a 1394 IP network actually, well... WORK. I HAVE seen people spend lots of time and wasted money trying to make it all go.

With the price of FW cable and connectors, and the low cost of Cat5, ethernet is the way to go, IMHO. Ethernet networking hardware as become very very affordable. You can have six feet of firewire or fifty feet of Cat5 cable for the same $25.

http://www.unibrain.com/1394_product...irenet_mac.htm

This works great for me... just for getting my FW400 external hard drive, G4 MDD and PB Ti 15 to jam with each other. I use Executive Sync with it and have had a good experience, as far as file sharing goes...

Just my .02