Best Web-Based Photo Gallery Solutions - Name 'Em!

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I've started researching the best photo-gallery solutions for people with websites. Best installations, best navigation, best looking...etc. So far I've found:

Gallery

and

PBase

So what else is there?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    jidojido Posts: 125member
    PHP web gallery

JAlbum

.Mac

PHPic, but it is still at a very early stage (pet project of mine!)
  • Reply 2 of 11
    white album is simple to set up and is pretty slick.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    Along the same lines, does anyone know of a good place website to display photos where the photos are protected from being downloaded or copied?

I've seen some java script sites where you can have "right-clicking" (and saving the file to disk) deactivated.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    You can't ever prevent anyone from copying your files once you put them online. The best you can do is to limit access to them.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Gallery is often updated, and easy to upgrade once you've installed the necessary third party components like ImageMagick or NetPBM. Gallery is very customizable and very fast too.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    mmmpiemmmpie Posts: 628member
    All you can do to prevent piracy is to only put low quality versions online ( publicly available ) and to put some sort of watermark on the image.

I worked on a photo library for copyrighted work. Casual browsers could only see low res images ( 400x300 ). Registration was not automatic, it required interaction with the library maintainer. When registered many of the photos became available at high res - but watermarked - so that layouts an demos could be done before purchase.

When you wanted to download a high res image it was copied to an ftp site with a unique file name, and deleted after 10 minutes. The same process was used for purchasing the final copy.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    Now I'm really usurping the thread , but, what is a good resolution to display online without worrying about people stealing the image and using it to print?
  • Reply 8 of 11
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by AugustWest

Now I'm really usurping the thread , but, what is a good resolution to display online without worrying about people stealing the image and using it to print?

Anything under 600x400 is worthless when printed, to me anyway. That's 100 PPI.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    I seem to recall you discussing this gallery software a LONG time ago Eugene...I think. I'm in the planning stages of the next revamp to my own website and am planning on really getting into CSS this time. I need to read up on the Gallery software to understand those details...but I relish the chance to have a site that loads cleanly and avoids any javascript that I can.

Not sure if I should post my web-design questions here or in GD.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    Gallery is also working on pumping out the Alpha for Gallery 2.0. It will use a database backend, look better, and much more powerful. I have an older version of the code for Gallery 2.0 running here:

http://test.andrewhitchcock.org/

It will be really cool when finished. And, they are going to provide some neat upgrade scripts that will allow you to easily upgrade from 1.4.x to 2.0. I use Gallery for my website with thousands of photos and many gigs of photos.

Andrew
  • Reply 11 of 11
    If you can cope with coding your template pages for index and media pages, then iView Multimedia is great. It is a cataloguing programme for images and all sorts of other media files (eg fonts, movies, audio etc) that can generate a complete web gallery from a two template files. It comes with some basic templates or you can make your own. All the pages, thumbnail and full size images are automatically created with the sizes and resolutions you specify, whatever the size/resolution of your original image. You can then just upload your gallery to your webspace.

Because it builds the gallery from your catalogue, you can include all sorts of information about each image on each page, eg EXIF data, dimensions, captions, keywords, file name etc just by adding the relevant field name to your template.

Does require some coding skills to generate the templates but very flexible for the more advanced user.

[Edit: typos!]