Cool CD storage product

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
http://www.avec.com.hk/html/M_work.html

and click the CD POD.

I got me one of those and I totaly love it...

apologies if this has been posted before.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    It doesn't look too appealing to me. It's shape... a bit like a Christmas cake/roll type thing, but maybe that would still be allright if the material used was a bit more confidence giving. Right now, it looks a bit like a toy. What probably ruins it most for me is the fact that the CD's are in there naked. Moreover, it seems that there are plastic clamps on the CD's. Don't they do damage? I will hang on to my sleeve-books and spindles for now.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    lainlain Posts: 140member
    Quote:

Originally posted by der Kopf

It doesn't look too appealing to me. It's shape... a bit like a Christmas cake/roll type thing, but maybe that would still be allright if the material used was a bit more confidence giving. Right now, it looks a bit like a toy. What probably ruins it most for me is the fact that the CD's are in there naked. Moreover, it seems that there are plastic clamps on the CD's. Don't they do damage? I will hang on to my sleeve-books and spindles for now.

I agree, sleeve-books are more scratch safe, but I have not noticed scrathes on my CDs using the CD POD. Also it is easier to browse through your CD collection throught a sleeve-book. The clamps as far as I have seen do not damage the CDs. I guess the matter of appearance appeal is a personal one. I think that the CD POD looks better suited to my computer / desk than a sleeve-book, its also has a smaller footprint.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    I had something similar to this and "clamp" system doesn't damage the disc in anyway. The good think about systems like these is density. The ability to pack alot of discs in small space is nice. Sleeves are good for density but I'm not so sure they excel in speedy access.

I'm looking to get another unit like this. It'll be great once I start burning my own DVDs and need quick access.

The problem with the CD-Pod is color. Had they made this Black or Silver with highlights it wouldn't look so Fisher Price or like it's from circa 1998
  • Reply 4 of 10
    lainlain Posts: 140member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

The problem with the CD-Pod is color. Had they made this Black or Silver with highlights it wouldn't look so Fisher Price or like it's from circa 1998

LOL, you must have kids. I did not make that association.

They do make the unit with Grey color instead of the Blue, which looks better. I think that it matches the latest G4s. If they make it all white and silver it will match the i&eMacs rather nicely. Your suggestion would match my G5 nicely IMHO.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    If it came in my color, I'd have it ordered right now.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Eh...I already bought a ton of those CD towers for my entire CD collection (thousands), otherwise, this aint a half bad idea.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by Lain

LOL, you must have kids. I did not make that association.

They do make the unit with Grey color instead of the Blue, which looks better. I think that it matches the latest G4s. If they make it all white and silver it will match the i&eMacs rather nicely. Your suggestion would match my G5 nicely IMHO.

Aye that I do Lain. I did see that color you talk of

Much better IMHO. Strangely the price varies wildly I've seen this same unit go for $12 -$45. I think I may pick on up and use a program on the computer to track which CD is where. Thanks for the heads up!
  • Reply 8 of 10
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison ...and use a program on the computer to track which CD is where.

Don't know if you already have said tracking program, but I use DiskTracker. And I've also heard of - but haven't used - CDFinder.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    of course, the CD density on that is ok, but IMO you're better off ripping them all to some lossless format, and tossing them on a portable HD.

• Reply 10 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

of course, the CD density on that is ok, but IMO you're better off ripping them all to some lossless format, and tossing them on a portable HD.

But of course Alcimedes. I plan on getting an iPod probably late next year. However my next Mac without fail will have a DVD Burner and I want an easy way to access the Data and Movie discs that I will eventually create. Im digital all the way now I rarely listen to plastic discs I just wish the music industry would realize that many feel the same as I and we abhor copy protection on discs(I won't call'em CD's cuz they're not)