Burner problems & Suggestions for new burner

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Well, My Yamaha 4/4/16 (SCSI-2 external) will no longer work with OS X, and I'm sick of booting back into 9 to burn CDs.

When I installed Toast Titanium X 5.1.1 and the unsupported SCSI burner hack, my burner worked for a while. Now, it doesn't. Even with the v2 of 5.1.2. Oh well, it's had a good life.

So, barring some miraculous recovery in OS X, what would you all recommend for a FireWire burner?

I see a whole bunch of IDE -> FireWire via bridge burners for cheap ($150 for a 24x burner), but are those reliable? Even with the Oxford 911 bridge?

Anyway, I'd like to hear what you all recommend. Oh, and I'd like it to be able to fit under either my Apple 17" Studio display (ADC - clear back) or my Apple 17" Studio display (VGA - graphite/ice monitor).

Thanks

-Ender

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    Don't get a FireWire, get an internal IDE burner. They are much cheaper for faster burners. You can get a 32x12x48x Lite-On for like $100 probably, and they will probably have 40x burners in stores soon.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    enderender Posts: 353member
    No can do... gotta have an external for a couple reasons.

1) I have an internal DVD-RAM drive which I really like having around.

2) I have a zip drive, and I don't really feel like performing surgery on my tower anyway.

3) I also have a Ti PB 667, and want to be able to burn from either machine.

So, I really am looking for a nice FireWire burner. Also, I don't really care about insane speeds, anything around 12x will be sufficient.

Keep those suggestions coming!

-Ender
  • Reply 3 of 11
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    I've got the QPS Que! 24x Firewire drive and it's great. You can find it now for about $199.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    I've heard that the Que! drives are either incompatible or don't fully work with OS X 10.1.2. Is this true?

How has the experience been with your Que!? How reliable is it?

TIA

-Ender
  • Reply 5 of 11
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    It's the USB one that everyone complains about. Right now mine doesn't work with iTunes, but I use Toast so it's no problem.

I've had it since the end of December, and it's been very reliable. Not one coaster. It's got the Burnproof technology, so no buffer underrun errors.

[ 02-10-2002: Message edited by: EmAn ]</p>
  • Reply 6 of 11
    [quote]Originally posted by Ender:

<strong>I've heard that the Que! drives are either incompatible or don't fully work with OS X 10.1.2. Is this true?

How has the experience been with your Que!? How reliable is it?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Last week, I would have said "Great! Go for it!" Now, I'm not so sure.

It was working fine, then I didn't use it for a month, and now, it only works under very limited conditions: ie, it will burn a single track to audio (10.1.2/iTunes2.0.3); it will burn tracks to audio in DAO mode (9.1/Toast 5x).

That's it. I can no longer get it to burn otherwise without freezing.

And here's an interesting little bit: went into DiskUtil to have a look @ a blown CD; it reported that the "volume" size was 9.19 terabytes!

I've not made much headway on this: QPS has not responded to my email, and the lady @ MicroCenter suggested it was the old iTunes / Toast incompatibility...except I have Toast, not iTunes, in 9.1, and iTunes (not Toast) installed in OS X.

Up until this, I was VERY happy w/ my Que! Fire; I'm hoping I'll be happy w/ it again.

Whatever burner you get, seriously consider getting a replacement warranty.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    Thanks, I'll look into the Que! burners at least.

Do I hear anyone with experience with LaCie drives?

Do I hear anyone with experience with IDE -&gt; FireWire bridge drives (particularly ones with the Oxford 911 bridge)?

-Ender
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Ok, people... I know more of you have burners than this. Please reply, I could use some more opinions.

-Ender
  • Reply 9 of 11
    I use the SmartDisk VST 8x8x24 firewire. It's a great drive, I've had no problems with it. The best part is it's size. It's small & light, and it draws it's power from the firewire port so you can use it anywhere with a Laptop. The only drawback might be price. It is $299.95. I got it free with my TiBook this summer during the promotion Apple had, so the price was perfect for me . Anyway, you can check it out here: <a href="http://store.yahoo.com/smartdiskstore/smarvstfirpo.html"; target="_blank">http://store.yahoo.com/smartdiskstore/smarvstfirpo.html</a>;
  • Reply 10 of 11
    We had one of those where I used to work. I didn't care for it much.

First, when it was on the desk, anything that was in front of it would get in the way when you opened the tray. I also didn't like how you had to pull the tray out yourself the rest of the way. On top of that, 8x isn't exactly blazing speed anymore. I'd like 12x at least. I'm not much of a road-warrior (even though I have a Ti); I mostly burn at home and watch DVDs on the road.

Keep 'em coming folks.

Thanks,

-Ender
  • Reply 11 of 11
    compgeeks has a refurb yamaha 16x10x40 159.99

<a href="http://www.compgeeks.com/details.asp?invtid=C2100FX-R"; target="_blank">http://www.compgeeks.com/details.asp?invtid=C2100FX-R</a>;

Write, Re-write, then do it all again!!! This Yamaha External Writer writes CD-R at 16x, rewrites CD-RW at 10x, reads CD at 40x, has a Firewire (IEEE 1394) interface, and a 8MB buffer. Includes Adaptec Direct CD & Easy CD Creator 4.02d writing software! Add one to your cart and start "burning" those CD's!!! Compare and $ave - Sells for Over $300- Elsewhere!

I have had a good experience buying new and refurb from them in the past