Deal or No?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
i recently got a Powerbook G4 let me know(after i give you the specs) if i got ripprd or not

550Mhz, Combo drive, 256RAM, 15.2 inches, G4 Processor, OS 10: Jag. all for 812.02

waht do you think???

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    No.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    ps5533ps5533 Posts: 476member
    for $812.02 No? wow ok
  • Reply 3 of 16
    Doesn't seem like a very good deal to me either
  • Reply 4 of 16
    oh and it has 40 gigs too
  • Reply 5 of 16
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    Not a super deal, but fair. Airport card or AppleCare included would make it a better deal of course.
  • Reply 6 of 16
    Sorry, should've qualified that. For not all that much more you can get a refurb iBook with better specs, and if portability isn't essential, eMacs get a lot better for a comparable price. True, I think with edu pricing. But still... with the speed the computer market moves, I don't think it's very pragmatic to get a (relatively) obsolete model and it's better thinking both functionally and economically to save up more and buy a newer model.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    mac+mac+ Posts: 580member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PS5533

i recently got a Powerbook G4 let me know(after i give you the specs) if i got ripprd or not

550Mhz, Combo drive, 256RAM, 15.2 inches, G4 Processor, OS 10: Jag. all for 812.02

waht do you think???

Don't feel too bad about having bought it - I bought a brand new Ti550 with DVD only, and the very next week Apple released the Combo model! D'oh! (this was about two years ago now I think). The upgrade price was way too expensive in Australia, so I didn't spring for the upgrade. To this day, I have never burned a CD!

I'm also still working conservatively and haven't yet managed to fill up my 20 Gig HD either ... lots and lots of continual pruning.

Anyway, it is true that there is better value out there - but console yourself with the fact that your TiPB is considerably more cool looking than an iBook.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    well if i were to get it i would also reciever MX2004, Final Cut, .Mac, Apps, Microsoft word, powerpoint, excel, and many other nice titles.
  • Reply 9 of 16
    Final Cut Pro?

Then...Yes.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    I would say you did get a good deal. My dad has the same model - it supports Quartz Extreme and the 15.2" widescreen made me envious when I had my 12" iBook. My iBook was an 800 MHz with a 32 MB Radeon 7500 - it should have been "faster" but I preferred my dad's laptop all the same. You didn't get an awesome deal, but it's a fairly good one.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno

I would say you did get a good deal. My dad has the same model - it supports Quartz Extreme and the 15.2" widescreen made me envious when I had my 12" iBook. My iBook was an 800 MHz with a 32 MB Radeon 7500 - it should have been "faster" but I preferred my dad's laptop all the same. You didn't get an awesome deal, but it's a fairly good one.

That's what I thought, too. I mean, you're getting a processor thats 40% of the latest Powerbook's speed, an HD that's about that also, and look: you're paying 30% of the price. PS5533 doesn't need "a lot of Mac" at the moment, and he'll be buying a G5 in August.

(I switched him to Mac, and I was helping him with purchasing decisions. So if you think the logic sucks, its my logic)
  • Reply 12 of 16
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Not stellar, but not bad either. Any time you can get a decent mac laptop for $800, you're doing pretty well. Sure, you could have saved a bit going some other direction, but it's all relative. Enjoy it.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    oh i will enjoy trust me 8)
  • Reply 14 of 16
    wow sounds really good to me, But check this out i just got a 17 inch 1ghz powerbook for 750 usd..

jejeje sorry thought id brag ... but you did get a good deal on it

and BTW this is my first post just wanted to say hi to everyone...
  • Reply 15 of 16
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Yay, stolen PowerBooks are fun.
  • Reply 16 of 16