iTunes CD cover art

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Where do they get stored exactly?

I downloaded iFetch and it places them in Home/Library/Application Support/FetchArt.

But then I got Konfabulator and have been adding widegts. One of them is iTunes companion and I want it to display the CD cover of the song that is playing, but I can't seem to get it to work. Anybody had any experience with this?

TIA!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    mac+mac+ Posts: 580member
    20 views and nobody can tell me where the iTunes CD cover art is stored?

Well, when the answer finally comes, I am presuming there will be twenty other AI community members, besides myself, who will be just that little bit wiser.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Okay, okay...

It's stored inside each song file, as a part of each song file. Not very efficient, since an album with 12 songs will have the same picture repeated 12 times, but this method does simplify the management of the art work in some ways.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    Thanks shetline ... how do I locate the songfiles? I know where the ripped tunes are stored in the artist folders, but I don't think this is the same thing.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    Moving to Digital Hub.

Quote:

Originally posted by Mac+

how do I locate the songfiles? I know where the ripped tunes are stored in the artist folders, but I don't think this is the same thing.

I think you misunderstand. The art is stored in the file itself. Select a song in iTunes, press apple-R. There's your file.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    Don't want to labour this point - but Brad when I Apple-R a song in iTunes it takes me to the MP3 file located in the "Artist's Album" folder. Are you telling me that that MP3 now contains the artwork inside it - as well as the audio? I thought an MP3 file was just audio only.

If it does also accomodate the artwork, then thanks for the answers - but this hasn't helped me too much with the Konfabulator widget - I'll try and do some more research about that on their website.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    I must concur: how do I get to view the artwork?

what good is it?

can I get it for printing purposes?

etc?
  • Reply 7 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mac+

Don't want to labour this point - but Brad when I Apple-R a song in iTunes it takes me to the MP3 file located in the "Artist's Album" folder. Are you telling me that that MP3 now contains the artwork inside it - as well as the audio? I thought an MP3 file was just audio only.

MP3, and AAC for that matter, are for audio, but both have provisions for internal extensions as well. All of the familiar tag info -- name of song, artist, composer, genre, comments, etc. -- aren't audio data either, but they're in there just the same, along with the audio data inside the same files. Artwork is just another kind of extension, where a block of data inside the MP3 or AAC file is being set aside for storing picture data.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by pfflam

I must concur: how do I get to view the artwork?

what good is it?

can I get it for printing purposes?

etc?

The rightmost button underneath your iTunes playlists toggles artwork display on and off. Click on the small image to see a larger version. Drag from the small image onto your desktop to save a clipping file which you can paste into Preview or another app to print the artwork.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by shetline

MP3, and AAC for that matter, are for audio, but both have provisions for internal extensions as well. All of the familiar tag info -- name of song, artist, composer, genre, comments, etc. -- aren't audio data either, but they're in there just the same, along with the audio data inside the same files. Artwork is just another kind of extension, where a block of data inside the MP3 or AAC file is being set aside for storing picture data.

shetline - Thanks heaps. Now I understand!
  • Reply 10 of 13
    reidreid Posts: 190member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pfflam

...can I get it for printing purposes?

Search VersionTracker for a program called iTunes CD Printer. It automatically creates CD case inserts with track listings and artwork from your iTunes playlists. Pretty slick.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by Reid

Search VersionTracker for a program called iTunes CD Printer. It automatically creates CD case inserts with track listings and artwork from your iTunes playlists. Pretty slick.

Ooh... nice. Thanks. I always thought iTunes should have this feature.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by Akumulator

Ooh... nice. Thanks. I always thought iTunes should have this feature.

I second that. It is a neat program and it works. I hope iTunes gets this feature too.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    addisonaddison Posts: 1,185member
    You will also find a programme called Clutter, which grabs the art of the playing song and you add it to the iTunes song/album.