why 10,3,2 keep my powerbook 12 fan running all the time?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
after update my panther to 10,3,2, the temperature is reduced, but the fan generate great noise, i would like the laptop is hotter better than that of annoyed noise.

anybody else got the same problem?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    Plenty of people do.

Look HERE
  • Reply 2 of 16
    how to uninstall 10.3,2 ?

i can not bear it any more.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    Insert your Jag disk.

Choose options > Archive and Install.

Install 10.2

Update to 10.2.8.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    homhom Posts: 1,098member
    EDIT:

Whoa was I wrong. I didn't notice the fan because of iTunes in the background. The fan is on when it never used to be.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    Thre is a new util on versiontracker.com called Silent Night. It just replaces the 10.3.2 fan setting extension with the one from 10.3.1... I installed it this morning, but haven't had a chance to really test it out yet. You might have to zap the PRAM (option-cmd-p-r) on restart for it to take effect....

It seems harmless to me, after all, the fan setting was at the higher threshold temp for 11 months and there was no threat to the hardware. I can stand the extra heat... hell, I'm in canada and its freezing cold. I use that toasty powerbook to warm my hands after walking to school in a blizzard

Try it at your own risk, it is changing system extensions... but i took the plunge. i'll report back with results after I give it a good test this afternoon.
  • Reply 6 of 16
    I do install it this morning, when I saw it on versiontracker's update list, and do what the readme file told to do, restart and option-cmd-p-r, but nothing happen!? so, what the real function for option-cmd-p-r?

thx
  • Reply 7 of 16
    to zap your PRAM... you hold option command (the apple key) P and R at the same time while restarting.... you will hear the start up chime ... keep hyolding.... you'll hear it again.... etc. usually let it chime 3 times. then let go of the keys, and you'll restart with your PRAM *zapped*
  • Reply 8 of 16
    I have yet to get Silent Night working properly for me. Did everything it asked for and nothing. Stupid fan , constantly on, whizzing up and down in speed. This update sucks. My battery time went from 4:30 to 2:50. So much for that battery update, eh?

I am currently backing up data for the inevitable reformat. Thanks again Apple. First 10.2.8, now 10.3.2.

I am never updating again without waiting at least a month. 10.3.2 is nothing but a headache for me.
  • Reply 9 of 16
    why reformat? why not just archive install 10.3?

silent night appears to have fixed my fan problem. i haven't heard it in over 3 hours.... fingers are crossed

did you make sure you zapped the PRAM a few times on restart?
  • Reply 10 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by sobelizzard

to zap your PRAM... you hold option command (the apple key) P and R at the same time while restarting.... you will hear the start up chime ... keep hyolding.... you'll hear it again.... etc. usually let it chime 3 times. then let go of the keys, and you'll restart with your PRAM *zapped*

OK, one chime for normal restart, and other 3 time s chime for PRAM zaped.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by sobelizzard

why reformat? why not just archive install 10.3?

silent night appears to have fixed my fan problem. i haven't heard it in over 3 hours.... fingers are crossed

did you make sure you zapped the PRAM a few times on restart?

I have zapped the PRAM. I am trying Silent Night one more time. I have repaired permissions, fsck'd, the whole nine... one more try with the app, then I guess an archive and install. I do like a nice clean spankin' new install, but I just don't have the time nor patience. I needed to back up my photo library anyway. It was up to 1.7 gigs.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    if you archive restore your system, there is no need back up your personal data, just remine it that way it is when you process the Panther install. such as... no remove your current user, then the system will not delete it.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    I personally don't mind a cooler powerbook.

I generally stay away from haxies so Silent Night, while it may work, is not for me.

If Apple gets enough feedback, I am assuming that they will give us a future update that will remedy the issue.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    Archive and Install here back to 10.3.1. Having half of the battery power and an annoying fan 24/7 isn't worth whatever else comes in that update. Thumbs down.
  • Reply 15 of 16
    with panther, I noticed the computer started up the fan at 114 degrees F. But this was for the first couple of hours, after about a day, the fan delayed itself till 118 F. I think it'll fix itself after a while...
  • Reply 16 of 16
    zapped PRAM do not effect on my powerbook.

I can't wait for the next apple update to fix this problem.